Sacrifice

Katherine

It's a dark night as I run through the forest, the enemy after us with Elena at my side. I could be gone before Klaus got to me, but I won't leave her for Klaus. As we run hand in hand, I can sense that he's not that far behind us. We're running from him, because he tried to kill her by draining her. He needs her to die in order to kill vampire Alaric. I won't let her die, though. Especially, not after I just saved her life from him. If anyone's going to die tonight, it'll be me. If it comes down to it, I'll gladly sacrifice my life for Elena's.

I stop when we arrive by a log. I could run forever non-stop, but I can tell that she won't be able to run much farther. She needs rest, so that's what I'll give her.

I let go of her hand.

"Rest. You need it and you've earned it."

She sits down on the log.

"What about you?" she asks, as she tries to catch her breath.

"I don't need rest. If he comes close enough, get out of the way and run for safety. I'll do what I can. If he kills me, then so be it."

"Katherine-" she starts.

I look down at her, as I stand in front of her and speak.

"Elena, you have more of a chance of surviving than I do. After 500 years of running, it's exhausting. If I do die though, remember that we are the same in more ways than one. And I'm not talking about our traits."

"Then what are you talking about?"

"Our family, Elena. Damon and Stefan don't know my past, except for the past with them. You and I both lost our parents. Klaus slaughtered my uncle, father, maid, mother, and villagers just to get back at me for running. It was 500 years ago in Bulgaria, but it still hurts. It's one of the many eternal scars that will never fully be healed. It took me meeting Stefan to love again. After he slaughtered everyone, I closed up my heart to love. I made myself not feel anything. Then I came to America in 1864 and met Stefan. I fell in love with him shortly before Damon came home on leave from the war. I instantly fell for him. I guess I'll never know if it was the uniform or something entirely different about him that made me fall for him. And what Damon and Stefan call me playing games; that just me doing what I can to make sure my family stays together. I lost it once; I won't lose it again; and your biological mother? She was my daughter my father took away, because she was born illegitimate."

"But why would he do that? Your father, I mean."

"It was the sixteenth century and those types of children weren't welcome. Instead, they were abandoned and even taken away from their mothers. I never saw her again, until I realized Isabelle was my daughter, when she came to town. I knew it from her looks. If I had been able to be a true mother, Isabelle would've never been turned and never met Ric. She most certainly never had turned out to be so twisted without any morals whatsoever. I would've taught her the right thing."

"Why didn't you tell them?" Elena asks, obviously referring to Damon and Stefan.

"Because I didn't know them very well back then. I'm not very trusting, which Damon has also grown to be like. And now, if I told either of them, they would say that I'm lying. They wouldn't know the truth, unless they read my Petrova journal."

"You have a journal?"

"Yes, of course. You and Stefan aren't the only ones. A lot of people do."