Peace and Understanding (Kalijah)

Summary: What if Klaus died, instead of both of them in 5x13? When Kat comes back to life, since she's still in pain from Nadia's death, can she help him through the grief? Will their losses reunite them in the end?

It was a beautiful day in the Quarter, as a human Kat walked. She was alive now that the Salvatores and them took out her and hell. She was human with active Traveler magic now. And she knew how broken they all were now. And so, she was heading for the bar. It made plenty of sense to her that her ex she still loved would be there.

She entered the bar and, scanning, saw that she was right. Elijah was trying to drink his grief away. After all, she knew no time could take his grief away. He'd spent an eternity trying to redeem Klaus. After a thousand years of putting hard work into that, he'd been repaid by Klaus' death. Her former enemy and his hybrid brother had gotten redemption, only to sacrifice himself for his daughter. She didn't blame him. She would've done the same for Nadia. She almost had, but she'd decided to honor her wish not to give anything up. Nadia had just wanted her to be happy and become a better person. Since Elijah would honor anyone's wish, she'd honored Nadia's. 

Once she'd weaved around who she knew to all be vampires and humans, she sat next to him on a bar stool. She didn't say or do anything for a moment, debating on how to make her approach. Then, she finally rested a hand on his arm, while taking the bottle the bartender had left him.

"Trying to drink this place dry of Bourbon isn't going to help or make the pain go away," she stated, setting the hall empty bottle by her, to the side.

"And you'd be an expert on pain, wouldn't you?" he replied, still looking down at the shot glass in front of him, before finishing it.

"I don't know the pain of losing any siblings. I was an only child. I know what it's like to lose a daughter, though. A long time ago, she found me. We reunited, but when she got bitten, she just wanted me to be happy. To not give anything up just to save her. I wanted to give her everything. I wanted a second chance. For her. With her. But for once, I chose to be selfless. I wanted to get the cure for her, but chose to honor her, just as I knew, you would've if you'd been in my shoes," she informed him. "The loss of a child is like the loss of a sibling. That pain never goes away. I won't force anything on you, but you can stay and keep drowning your sorrows, or you can choose a path with me. Your choice, but I don't have an eternity to wait anymore."

She took her hand off his arm, before getting up and leaving the bar.

She was walking the route to the compound, knowing until he got himself back to reality, she could count on Freya's protection. And Kol's if he was still in town. She knew she'd have half a chance with Rebekah.

Suddenly, she heard a growl and, a moment later, was on the ground, being attacked by one of her few werewolf enemies. Axel. She realized he must've been looking for her still. Now, he'd found her. The downfall was that they were only a few blocks away from the bar. Elijah would eventually run across them. Then, unlike the past, he'd kill Axel. For Elijah, there were no exceptions when it came to her life. He'd die for her if needed. She'd do the same for him.

After a little while, Elijah left the bar, aiming to head home. He assumed Katerina had gone there. After all, she knew he'd go there after the bar. Besides, she wouldn't stay outside in New Orleans. Too many vampires. And she was human again. Not much of a match for a vampire. 

The noble Mikaelson was a few blocks away from the bar, when he saw the scene. Since it had two different eye colors, he knew it was her enemy, Axel.

In a blur, he broke and smashed the necklace around his neck, and tossed him a distance away, before Axel knew what was happening. Then, before the wolf could attack, the Original ripped out his heart and decapitated him.

An instant later, he was knelt at her side. He'd left years ago, but he'd always love her. She was his Katerina.

He gently pulled her into his arms.

"Stay with me, Katerina."

About half an hour later, he rushed into the compound.

"Freya!"

He gently layed her down on the table that wasn't far from the stairs. He then used his jacket as a pillow for her head.

When Kat awoke, she knew she wasn't fully in New Orleans anymore. Everything was dark, it appeared. She was by a river.

"Fancy seeing you here," he commented from behind her.

She gave a smile, before turning around to look at him.

"Klaus."

"You shouldn't be here, luv. Not that I wouldn't enjoy the company."

"A wolf enemy from my much younger vampire years found me. I'm sure Elijah will get Freya to heal me soon. Then I'll be out of here. Until then, I'm stuck here," she explained.

"In that case, tell my brother to start living. Stop living in the past. If he so chooses, I give him my approval to be happy with you. I found peace. He should, too. And if you cross paths, tell my daughter to find her own peace. And if I may be so bold, you should find your own, in whatever way you can. I've given you nothing but fear, hatred, and heartbreak. It's time that you find peace. You'll see your daughter next time you die, I'm sure. For now though, live your life to the fullest. You've earned it after everything," he replied.

"Thank you, Klaus. You should know that I forgave you a while ago, though. And yes. I'll be sure to tell them."

She gave a smile.

He smiled back at her.

When she woke up in the real world, she'd been healed. She didn't feel weak though, so she assumed Rebekah had restored her blood loss. She also saw that she was in Elijah's room, him seated on her bedside.

She rested a hand on his that was on the bed.

"Thank you. You saved me, yet again."

"I'm sorry, Katerina. I almost lost you. It's my fault," he apologized.

She sat up in bed and looked at him.

"This isn't your fault. We both know that he would've eventually found me. It was only a matter of time," she assured and reminded him.

"But I wasn't there to keep you from harm."

"All that matters is that I'm alive. I'm okay. Everything will be okay."

"Not everything," he stated.

"Well, speaking of that, Klaus wants you to move on and be happy, even if it's with me. He doesn't want you living in the past anymore. He wants you to find peace, just as he has. And he also told me that he wants me to move on, be happy, and find peace. We talked while you were all trying to save me."

"Then I guess we should try and accomplish what he wants," he replied.

She gave a smile.

"I guess we should."

After a few minutes, they began to kiss, grief and the love they still shared bringing them together, once more.