Happy Ending

Not every story ends on a good note, but I know how it feels when a story ends with a happy ending. So here's an alternative ending, what would've happened if there was a happy ending.

____

"Do you like roses, Nana?" 

Nana hums and looks up from her mushroom picking, she turns to Harith who held wild roses in his hand. They were the simplistic kind, pink with just a few petals. Not those modern-day red roses with their complicated appearances.

Nana nodded happily, "Uh-huh! I especially like natural kind, the one that hasn't been bred yet." She ogled at the bundle of roses, "Are those for me?" She asks shyly, trying not to sound conceited.

Harith nodded proudly, "I came across them while helping the older guys cut some wood." He hands her the bouquet of flowers.

"Wow! Thank you, Harith!" Nana's eyes shined, she puts down her basket of mushrooms and accepts the gift, "I wish I could give you mushrooms in return, but you don't seem to like them that much."

"No, I do!" Harith answers quickly, "But I only like it if it comes from you."

"Well, in that case," Nana grabs a bag of shiitake mushrooms and hands it over, "Mushroom stew tastes good! Especially using these."

Harith was about to take the bag of mushrooms when a certain brunette grabs Nana's attention.

"Hey, Nana! Look what I found." Orion grins, jumping off a tree with a handful of mushrooms, "They were hard to find, but it was worth it since I knew you liked them!" 

"Matsutake mushrooms..." Nana mutters, examining the mushrooms, "You know you can sell these for a huge amount of dias, right?"

"Yeah! But I know you like mushrooms so I got them for you!" Orion beams, "Can you make your delicious mushroom stew again?" He asks eagerly, tail wagging as his entire body shook with excitement.

"Uhhh, sure." Nana smiled, "Let me just finish picking the rest of these mushrooms first." She was about to bend back down when Harley interrupted her.

"Don't worry, I already picked them all for you." Harley says proudly, "NOW can we go practice magic?"

"No! Nana is going to make mushroom stew first!" Orion exclaimed, sticking his tongue out at Harley.

"We've been practicing our magic at the exact same time for months now! You can't just change that for mushroom stew!"

Nana sighed, turning away from the bickering boys. Ever since the banned heroes' incident, the boys had been less serious and were more clingy to Nana. They didn't even bother to hide their intentions of winning her heart.

Orion's objectives were unknown, no one knows if he had the same goal as Harith and Harley, but for now; that seemed to be the case.

Nana looks at Harith who has been silent the entire time Harley and Orion were bickering. He seemed to be staring into space.

She reaches her hand out and pats his head, feeling an overwhelming urge to squeal over how adorable the Leonin was. "Good boy!" She giggles, holding back said urge.

Harith snapped out of his gaze and looks up at her hand, he soon realizes what she was doing and grins, purring in delight.

Harley and Orion grew quiet as they turned to Harith. A murderous intent on Harley's face while Orion simply appeared amused.

Harley walks over to them, a jealous look on his face. Without shame, he takes off his hat and says, "Nana, pat me too!"

Nana's eyes widened as she stopped petting Harith. Harley never lets anyone touch his hair, so this was odd behavior. 

"Uhhh, okay?" Nana says awkwardly patting him as well. 

Orion snickered and winked at her from afar, 'Have fun.' He mouths and takes his leave.

And so, it began. The fight for who would make Nana finally squeal and admit how adorable they were.

_______

"I did it! My boomerang reached a really far distance!" Nana cheers excitedly, happy that she made amazing progress in her magic.

Harith came limping back, still hurt from how hard Nana's boomerang hit him. "Why am I always the dummy?"

"Because you have a built in shield." Harley rolled his eyes, "Besides, I thought you said you'd do anything for her."

"I would! It's just— my shield doesn't get activated if I'm not near an enemy." Harith grumbles.

"Oh? I didn't know you're shield didn't work." Nana bit her lip, immediately feeling immensly bad for all the pain she caused Harith, "I can buy you ice-cream to make up for it!"

"Eh?" Harith tilts his head to the side. "Really?" Harley immediately frowned, jealous of the attention she give Harith.

Nana nods happily, "You too Harley! Take it as a thank you for helping me become stronger!"

Harley's mood immediately changed, his face lit up, "Yeah! That sounds good."

"Alright! Let's go! We'll get an ice pack for Harith roo." Nana hummer, skipping over back to the civilized towns.

Harith and Harley followed behind, nodding at each other to signal they should just ask the big question.

"So Nana...." Harith starts, walking a little faster so he could walk alongside her, "Valentine's is pretty near..."

"We still have a month to go."

"Well yes, but the point here is," Harith took a deep breath, throwing a glance at Harley to help him out. Harley simply smirked and shook his head.

"Usually girls give cards to their crushes, right? You've never given one to anyone yet after all these years." Harith starts, "Will you do it this year?" He finished, a faint blush displayed on his cheeks.

"Why are you asking?" Nana asks rather teasingly, she seemed to have a knowing look on her face, but to Harith and Harley; she stayed innocent looking.

"Ah- I- w-we were just wondering—"

"He just wants to see who the lucky guy will be." Harley interrupts, throwing an arm over Harith's shoulder with a cocky look on his face, "So?"

Nana looked at the sky, thinking. "Hmmm... Yeah." She smiled.

Harith and Harley's eyes widened, a hope sparking in them, "To who?"

Nana giggles and rubs her arm, "Maybe Chang'e or Angela..."

"Huh?!" Harith and Harley exclaimed, genuinely surprised and hurt. Disappointment crept into their hearts, feeling as if the hope that was arising just sunk that instant.

"I'm joking." Nana chuckled, "I will give a card,"

"and I will give it to you."