Family Portrait

Theo: 

"So first things first. What is her name?" He asks, sitting me in a room on the couch. He hands me a coffee and sits across from me. 

"Loretta Larson." I say. 

"When is her birthday?" He asks. 

"August 13th, 1967. She was born in Albany, New York."

"When was the last time you saw her?" He asks. I sit on this for a minute. Trying to remember when I saw her last. It's been a long time. 

~~~~~~~~

"What do you mean you're leaving?" I beg. 

"I can't live here anymore. In this house, without him. I can't look at you anymore. He's gone, and you survived. I have so much guilt and anger. I can't be here anymore. I can't talk to you anymore. You look just like him, talk like him, you have his eyes." My dad had different color eyes too..

"Mom, don't leave me please." I beg, my knees hitting the floor as she throws her suitcases into the truck of a cab. She gets in and drives away, without looking back. The door swings in the wind as I watch her leave the driveway out of sight. I can't do this. 

~~~~~~~~

Walking down the street in some town in California. I see her. She walks into the coffeeshop I'm sitting in. Dressed in business clothes, typing away on her phone. Yelling into her bluetooth. 

"No, no, no, no, you cannot put that in the presentation. Yes, I told you I would have it finished by Monday. It's Saturday. Yes, I'm heading to the office now." She picks up her coffee, facing me. She looks right at me, and walks away. She didn't even recognize me. 

~~~~~~~~

"I saw her at a coffeeshop in Cali. She walked right by me, looking at me. And she didn't even recognize me. She must work for some company, she had a pants suit on, bluetooth and phone." I say. 

"I'm sorry Theo. I'll do my best." He says.

"Wait.." I say before he can leave the room.

"Can you try and find my sister too? That one is going to be a lot harder. She was homeless and begging for money the last time I saw her. She was in the city, off of broadway." I say.

"What's her name and birthday?" He asks. 

"Olivia Larson. February 18th, 1990." He nods, his hand on mine. 

"We'll find them Theo. I will do everything I can." He pats my arm and walks off. With that my phone buzzes. 

"Hey Col." I say.

"Hey, I'm sorry about earlier." He says, his voice sounds sad. 

"It's fine. I should have told you. I went to Boston, to Detective Alvarez. I want him to try and find my mom and my sister." I say.

"Wow.." He's speechless for a minute. 

"Theo, I could've been there for you." He says. 

"You are. It's just something I needed to do on my own." I say.

"I know, I'm always here for you." He says. I twist my ring with my fingers. Sipping my coffee. 

"Theo." Detective Alvarez walks into the room. 

"We found your mom. Your sister is harder to track since she's been kid of off the grid. Your mom lives in the city." He hands me a lip of paper, her name and address on it. 

"Thank you." I hug him.

"I will call you if we find Olivia. Until then, go see your mom." He smiles. I manage to get back to the city late.