Chapter 33

Carmen's POV

Nathan arrives a few minutes early, but I was finished anyway. It feels weird to be going on a date again, I mean, it's not a date, but Ashton was never the "date" type. God, I miss him so much. I've almost forgotten what his lips feel like.

"You look beautiful, Carmen." He compliments while opening the passenger door for me.

"Thank you. You look nice yourself." I'm honestly surprised he wore a suit. I thought he would put on a collared-shirt, some pants without holes in them and call it a day.

"I'm so excited! This place is suppose to be amazing." He chirps.

The whole car ride is filled with awkward silences and cheesy, 80's pop hits; not even the good kind.

My mind keeps wandering back to Ashton, I'm worried about him. I know he wasn't in the best shape, even when we were still together. Some of his actions were linked to bipolar, but I didn't question it, he told me not to worry.

I need to talk to him. I just want to hear his voice again, but I don't know if tonight is the best night. I need to remember what his lips tasted like, what shade of hazel his beautiful eyes posses, and how soft his curls are as my hands run through them. I want to trace all his tattoos with my finger as he tells me the back story behind each one for the billionth time or find another meaning behind his piercings other than, "I wanted to piss off my family." I want to fall asleep in his arms as he's singing my favorite song again, telling me he loves me.

...but he doesn't. That's not the Fletch I remember, he's changed.

"Carmen, you alright?" Nathan snaps me out of my thoughts again and again and again.

"I'm fine." Hopefully, he can't see through my lie.

"He's not emotionally stable, Car."

"Who?"

"Ashton."

"What make you think that?" My voice comes out louder than I intended it to be.

"All the stuff you've told me, especially when you two first started talking, that's mental abuse. It's a sign of an unhealthy relationship and he doesn't sound emotionally stable!"

"Don't talk about him that way!" It's silent for a few moments. "We might not be together anymore, but I still care about him."

"Why? He sounds crazy."

"He's not the best, but...he's the best for me." It's in that moment that I realize Ashton is all I need. Enough of this break bullshit, I know we belong together.

"Alright, just don't come crying to me when he goes insane."

"Can we please not ruin the night? I just want to have dinner with you before I move back."

"You're still going back?"

"Sydney's my home, all my friends are there, and Ashton-" Even though I was never too fond of Sydney, I don't want him to know I actually just want to get back to see Ashton again.

"Of course."

"Come on, Nathan. We'll still talk."

"Yeah, sure." He spits out and I decide to just give up.

We make it to the restaurant and it's packed.

"Are you sure you still want to eat here?" Nathan asks after observing the line.

"Yeah, we don't have to let a few people ruin our dinner." I reply and show a comforting smile.

"It' more than a few, but okay." What is up with him tonight?