Chapter 4

Tori drops me off at my house after an hour of more talking. My mom doesn't come home for another two hours.

Part of me what's to go check on Ashton and the other part is too scared.

What am I scared of?

Maybe it's just him. That he'll ruin my life? He hasn't done that yet.

Even after I showed him something that I was embarrassed about and kept a secret from Tori for years, but showed this asshole two days after I met him, I'm too scared to talk to him.

Maybe it's because he can tear me down with words. I'm pretty strong, I don't care what you call me, but when he calls me a freak, my heart drops.

I'm called a freak, reject, burnout, you name it and I've been called it, everyday since I decided to stop hiding how I am and be me.

Today was Friday, so I have all weekend to check on him. My school is the only school to have two days on the first ''week.''

I pop french fries in the oven and my mom comes home right as I finish them. It's already 8, I wonder why she's home so late. She goes straight to her room and I hear crying when the door closes. I tiptoe in and she's sitting at her desk with her head in her hands.

"What happened?" I say with the door cracked, but not stepping in.

She looks up at me immediately, her eyes are bloodshot and cheeks the color of cherries.

She takes a deep breath in.

"Mom you're scaring me." I squeak before stepping in the room.

"The district doesn't have enough money to pay for some of the teachers. Including me."

"What?! Wha-what do you mean?" I can't find my breath. My mom can't loose her job. "We can't loose the house! What are we going to do? Where are we going to live?"

"I'm staying with my friend, Laura, but she doesn't have enough room for the both of us. I asked Ms. Irwin across the street if-"

"You what?!" I try and not shout too much because I don't want her to feel any worse.

"You'll be staying with the Irwin's starting tomorrow. I assumed since Ashton is in your grade, it won't be totally uncomfortable..." Oh Mother, if only you knew. "Please don't make her life any harder. Who knows what she goes through already." Yeah Mom. If only you knew.

I quickly leave her room. I'll be living with someone who doesn't even want to talk to me. I look out the window and see a 'FOR LEASE' sign already in the yard. I can't believe this is really happening.

I pack a suitcase that surprisingly fits all of my clothes. My mom said she would take care of everything else.

I fall asleep in my clothes because my pajamas are packed.

My dream is my dad and I can't be happier. He was much needed in a time like this. We're in the park and sitting on the bench Tori and I were at yesterday. I tell him everything since school started, everything with what happened at Ashton's, to telling him my biggest embarrassment, and Mom loosing her job.

He never talks in my dreams. It's better that way.

He comforts me like always, except I wish he would talk, just this one time. I need to know how to deal with moving houses, school, and most importantly Ashton. What is living with him going to be like? Probably a lot of yelling.

Mom wakes me up at 10 am. Half my room is already packed. Do I sleep that hard?

"Get ready, Laura is coming by in 20 minutes and you need to be at the Irwin's before that." She leaves the room and I feel alone for some reason.