Chapter 11

What did I just do? That was the #1 thing I swore I was never going to admit. His eyes widen as eyebrows raise. I hope he doesn't ask me what I just said. To be honest, I want to keep my word and say I like him, but I also want to deny it.

"You what?" He inches closer to my face as I hide mine in the pillow. "You like me?"

I fake fall asleep and hope he thinks I actually did. I'm too drunk to talk to him anymore because sooner or later I'm gonna say something that I'll regret. He turns off the light and I actually drift to sleep.

I dream about how my life would be different if my dad took me to New York with him. I'd probably be living in a tiny apartment looking over NYC, still be alone, but I never would've met Ashton. I've always wanted to meet Sarah. Mom said she had blonde hair, short, and had a son. It makes me shiver because he's my dad and not this boys.

I wake up before Ashton and lay there. Moments later he gets up and notices I'm not sleeping anymore.

"You feeling better?"

"Massive hangover."

"Yeah. About the things you said last night..."

"What things?" I decide to play dumb which I know is never the answer or a good idea.

"You said you liked me." He's so awkward when it comes to stuff like this.

"Ashton, never believe anything that comes out of my mouth when I'm drunk." I laugh trying to ease my way out of this sticky situation.

"So, you don't?" Why does he seem upset about me denying it? He rubs behind his neck and looks away.

"No, of course not. You told me there would never be anything between us, so why waste my time?" Maybe I should take my own advice.

"Yeah you're right." It's silent in the room for a moment until he quickly changes the subject. "How's the dreaming and your Dad going?"

"I haven't dreamed about him since. I really want to visit him someday and just see how he's doing and ask him why he didn't take me."

"We could go." He surprises me by saying. I look at him like he had a third leg.

"Ash-"

"No we could. We don't have school for another week and I lived in New York before I moved here, so I want you to see the city."

"It's a lot of money..." We sit on the edge of the bed, not breaking eye contact. "And you don't want me there with you." I shake my head and laugh.

"Carmen, we have money and I want you to see your Dad. It seems like you need to." He's right. They only way I could stop the nagging questions I've been asking myself since he left, could finally stop. I could maybe even live with him permanently and get out of Ashton's hair. It's a win win situation.

"Alright, when do you want to leave?" I smile and he smiles back bigger. I can't believe I'm agreeing to go to America with Ashton and see my Dad. I get butterflies at the thought of seeing him after 10 years.

"I'll talk to my mom and see if we could leave tonight even."

"Tonight?"

"Or whenever you want, it's ok."

"No, no its perfect! I'm so excited! Thank you so much, Ashton." I fling my arms around his neck and we hug tightly.

"Anything for you." My heart warms from his sweet reply. He's still acting weird from the fight, but I hope he stays like this. He goes to the living room to ask his Mom.

I pick up my clothes that are scattered on the floor and almost put them is his drawers, but remember I'm not staying long and stuff them in my worn down suitcase. I bend over to pick up a plain black shirt and spy a composition book under the bed. There's nothing written on the front to say what it's for, but it's falling apart from so much use. I take a swift look at the door to make sure Ashton isn't coming and quickly flip the pages.