Chapter 32

Carmen's POV

Nathan and I trudge into his warm house, a hint of cinnamon hitting our senses. "You hungry? There's chicken soup from last night."

"Yeah, thank you." He reaches into the fridge and retrieves a plastic container.

I obtain my phone and almost text Ashton. I didn't think it was going to be this hard to not talk. It's taking everything to not call and say I forgive him because to be honest, I don't even know if I do or not. I mean, of course I do, but...I don't know.

"Carmen, you alright?" Nathan zaps me out of my mental battle with a hot bowl of soup.

"Me? Oh yeah, I'm cool. Totally chill." I sit down on the bar stool next to him.

"If something is bothering you, you can always tell me."

I'm really debating on telling him that Ashton and I are no longer together or not. I guess he's gonna find out sooner or later when I'm still here next week. Or wait? Am I moving back?

"Remember when I told you about my boyfriend?"

"Yeah?"

"Well, he's no longer my boyfriend. He cheated on me the day I left actually." It hurts more to say it out loud.

"Oh Carmen...I'm so sorry."

"It's ok. I just thought I was enough, you know?"

"You are enough."

"No I'm not."

"Don't say that! If he couldn't see how beautiful or how much of a prize you are, then he's stupid." He looks at me with loving and supportive eyes as tears start to form in mine. "Hey, don't cry." He pulls me into a tight embrace. "It's gonna be okay."

"It's just hard." I croak leaving my throat raspy and breakable.

-------------------

"Thanks for the meal." I say and throw my bowl into the sink. "And sorry for breaking down on you."

"No problem and don't apologize, it's not your fault." He flashes a warm and comforting smile. "Do you feel like doing anything today?"

"I don't know..."

"Come on, you deserve to let loose and not worry." Fuck you, Nathan and your convincing points.

"Yeah you're right. Do you want to do something later tonight?"

"I heard a new Italian restaurant opened up downtown. Pick you up at 7?"

"Sure, yeah, I'd like that." I show a real smile and leave to go back to my house. The snow has cleared up a little bit, but it's still freezing.

I keep staring at Ashton's contact name, trying to control myself to not talk to him. It's not like we're totally broken up. We're just on a break.

Ashton's POV

I bring myself to get out of bed and take a quick look in the mirror, it looks like I died. The bags under my eyes reveal that I was up all last night. My eyes are red as cherries from crying. I bet Carmen looks beautiful as ever.

I don't even bother to change out of what I was wearing yesterday and head to school. Everything from traffic to the sun getting in my eyes is pissing me off. I'm fed up with school and acting like I actually want to be there.

Luke, Michael and Calum greet me as I walk into school.

"Woah mate, you alright?" Luke questions after taking one glance at me.