Chapter 23

I can't believe it's already the end of November, it feels like school just started. It's getting so fucking hot, but It's going to be freezing in NYC. Anne told me that my mom has stopped by her house several times looking for me. I wish she would just stay in Melbourne and accept the fact that I don't want to leave Sydney.

I feel terrible that Anne has to lie about where I am. She's used almost every single excuse from, "She's at school" to "Her class took a trip to America." Good thing she's gullible.

"My mom was thinking about making dinner tonight if you want to go." Ashton mentions at lunch. Neither one of us is allowed to miss any more days of school for the semester.

"I'd love to." I've been eating regularing for 2 months now and it's amazing. I've also learned that I should just do what makes me happy and fuck anyone that tries to ruin my happiness and I enjoy eating. Ashton always tells me how proud he is that I'm not rejecting food. It's been hard trying to get back to my normal weight. I was 90 pounds when I was in the hospital and I need to be at least 120. It's a lot harder to gain weight than it was losing it.

Tori is almost never in my life anymore because her and JD are glued together. I didn't tell her about the night I was in the hospital and Ashton was high, to be honest I don't think she would care anymore. She doesn't know about NYC, Ashton and I are living together, when I almost moved to Melbourne, we don't talk and it's killing me.

On the other hand, Caroline and I are becoming closer even though she's a year above me. She got accepted into Auburn University in America and I'm so happy for her. She's such a smart girl that she could've applied to any school and been accepted.

Ashton's band is getting more and more well known and they've all been so excited. They're called, "5 Seconds of Summer." Some name Michael came up with.

Ashton's been so behind on homework from having to do shows he's trying to get a science paper done while devouring a burger.

"What are tadpoles?" He asks between bites.

"I don't know. Baby turtles?" I sip on some milk that is obviously expired.

"I guess." What are tadpoles anyway?

The bell rings for 4th period and I throw both of our trays away. "Shit." He curses while trying to get all his papers together.

"Just tell her that you didn't get it done because of gigs."

"She won't give a fuck." He's so stressed out, I know he just wants to go home.

We go our seperate ways and I'm dreading history. I'm so behind on it, it's not good.

"Carmen, where's chapter 5 section 3 vocab?" My bitch of a teacher asks once I step in the classroom.

"I'm still working on it."

"Well, stop because it's a 0." God fucking great.

"I could tutor you sometime." My desk partner, Mason, offers. He's a tall brown haired boy with hipster looking glasses. Almost every girl in the class has a crush on him, but I never had one.

"I could really use one, but I don't want to waste your time." Mason and I are friends because we've been sitting next to each other since the first day.

"It's cool. Do you want to meet today?"

"Okay..." I give him the address of the apartment and then remember about dinner at Anne's. School comes first right?

I can't stress how much I hate History. The dates and events never match up for me and it's basically just a bunch of white men sitting in a circle and when they don't agree, they go to war. I don't know what any the branches of government mean, all I know is that George Washington was the first president and never brushed his teeth, Lincoln abolished slavery, and at some point in time, a group of teenage girls were killed when people thought they were witches. Also, apparently Pocahontas is a real person, but I doubt she actually wrote ''Colors of the Wind.'' I don't even know why we're learning American history.

The day goes by slower than ever, but it's amazing to finally go home. Ashton has to rehearse immediately after, so I catch a ride from Mason to the apartment.

"You live here by yourself?" He asks as I lock the door and set my stuff on the couch.

"Haha no. I live here with my boyfriend."

"Who's that?" He teases and nudges my elbow.

"Just some guy." That I love.

"Is he in our grade?"

"Uh, yeah he is. Can we get started?" I'm not going to tell him about Ashton because he seems like the type of boy that was be intimated by him and I need him to help me with History.

After an hour, I want to rip my hair out. It's literally just been him repeating the same thing over and over and me lying about getting it. I feel like he should be getting paid because I can't get shit.

"So, on the vocab, I know she said you got a 0, but I know she'll change it if you turn it in tomorrow."

"Doubt it. She hates me."

"She doesn't hate you." He laughs and gets his book out.

The front door opens, sweaty Ashton walks in and my stomach drops. Oh no.

"Mason?" They know each other?

"Uh, this is Ashton, my boyfriend."

"He's your boyfriend?" He asks a little too loud and a little too surprised.

"Is that a problem?" He steps in front of the scared boy and I can already tell shit will go down.

"No, just a little surprised."

"Why?" Wow, I've actually missed personality punk Ashton. I was starting to think the piercings and tattoos were wearing off.

"Because everyone thinks you two hate each other."

Still?