Day 30: Forest

"Princess?"

"Yeah, baby doll?"

"I know it's a little early for this, but I just wanted to say thanks."

"For what?"

"Thanks for making this year so...so amazing!"

Glaucon sniffled a little, perhaps from the cold, or maybe from her girlfriend's heartfelt words. She squeezed Dia's hand a little tighter as the two girls trudged through the snowy forest.

"I um...Dia?" She stammered.

"Yeah?."

"Thank you too!"

The two lovers shared a mutual look of contentment and continued walking along. The Crown-of-Thorns Forest was finally met with winter, and was covered in a luscious blanket of pure white snow. Gone away was the fall foliage to make room for the spectacular evergreens. Coupled with calm afternoon air, the forest was as inviting as the arms of a loved one.

Following the trail that Hiro marked for them, Glaucon and Dia arrived at the clearing where they had promised to meet with the rest of their family.

"You guys took forever!" Zack jeered.

"Yeah, seriously!" Frederick snickered. "We almost finished decorating the tree already!"

"Seriously?" Dia whined as she ran up to Frederick, with Glaucon following close behind.

At the sound of the commotion, Hiroko emerged from behind the massive spruce tree at the center of the clearing, covered in needles. She gave her two friends a big smile and reached for the box of decorations.

"You guys are just in time, don't worry!" Hiro laughed. She reached into the box and pulled out a little wooden figurine.

Dia gasped, half out of awe and half out of gratefulness. "The angel?" She whispered. "You carved this?"

"She sure did~!" Maya beamed. "She stayed up all night, and it came out perfect!"

Hiroko blushed and handed the angel to Dia. "You ought to be the one who puts it up. Here."

The baby blue Inkling nodded in agreement and took the little figurine. She then climbed onto Glaucon's back and reached for the top of the tree. The white and gold paint on the angel shimmered like the sunlight on the snow.

Back on the ground, the little family took a few steps back to admire their tree. Adorned in popcorn garlands, red apples, and various other fruits and vegetables safe for the forest animals to eat, the once plain spruce tree stood out among its peers.

Glaucon grabbed Dia's hand, and then Maya's. Eventually, the other cephalopods all joined hands and gazed up at their Christmas tree.

"You guys..." Dia began. "We're gonna have an awesome Christmas this year. Together."