Day 16: Coffee Shop

"Ah, look what the tide dragged in today!"

"Don't be so mean, Granny!" Dia huffed as she pulled up a seat for herself and her guest. "Glucagon isn't like the others- she and I are pretty much committed at this point! So you better get used to seeing her around!" She furrowed her eyes her grandmother behind the counter and took a seat in one of the stools.

Baffled by this whole exchange, Glaucon took a seat next to her girlfriend and sighed.

"Glucagon?" She chuckled.

"Yeah! I misread your name in my phone as that one time, so it's sticking." The baby blue Inkling explained as her eyes wandered over to the pastry display nearby.

"Lemme guess, it's another medical joke."

"Possibly."

"Possibly?"

"Possibly!"

The couple shared a laugh together before Dia turned to her grandmother again.

"Before we get too distracted, I'll have-" She began.

"A seafoam cappuccino for you and a sea salt latte for Glaucon, right?" The elderly barista finished Dia's thought. The two Inklings nodded simultaneously before she got to work making their drinks.

"Granny Sage is the best~~!" Glaucon beamed loudly enough for the Inkling in question to hear. Once the barista turned her back, the lavender Inkling lowered her voice and started to whisper to her girlfriend. "But seriously, what was that earlier? Does she still not like me or something?"

Dia blinked a few times as she searched for the right words to say. "Nah, she does! She's just has way too much sass for a lady her age."

"Ah."

Dia laughed awkwardly to try while she tried to change the topic She wracked her brain a little and eventually decided on something.

"Oh yeah! I just remembered that you don't like sweets, right?" Dia grinned.

"Yup." Glaucon nodded.

"That's the only thing I actually don't like about you, but we can fix that!"

"Seriously?"

"Yeah, why?"

"That's prolly the nicest thing you've ever said to me without realizing!" Glaucon giggled. "If that's the only thing that bothers you, then you must really love me!"

"Well, obviously I do!" Dia squealed. "But anyways, the chocolate croissants - "

"C-can you say that again?" Glaucon stuttered, her face reddening by the second.

"Well, obviously I love you?" Dia replied, tilting her head with confusion. "I thought you knew this already?"

Glaucon quietly squealed and buried her face in her hands. "I do! But hearing you say that just drives me crazy! In a good way!"

Just as Dia was about to reply, Sage handed the girls' drinks to them and walked away, giving them enough space while also staying close enough to eavesdrop.

"Well, I'm glad!" Dia grinned. "Wait...I was gonna say something about the croissants-"

"Big surprise there." Glaucon snickered.

"But I remembered something! I think you're gonna like this!" Dia took a sip of her coffee before continuing. "Glucagon is actually a hormone in the body-"

"How fitting~!" Glaucon wiggled her eyebrows, getting a snicker out of her girlfriend.

"It's not one of those hormones, gosh!" She sighed with an amused look on her face. "It's a hormone that actually raises your blood sugar!"

A few moments of horribly awkward silence passed. Dia merely looked at her girlfriend and nodded, waiting patiently for her to process her nerdy attempt at flirting. Meanwhile, the elderly barista began cracking up silently, watching the whole awkward mess unfold from the sidelines.

"Oh." Glaucon sipped on her latte and sighed. "Are you trying to say that I'm sweet or something?"

"P-p-possibly."

"You're such a freakin' nerd and I love you so much."