Day 4: Reminisce

The orange Octoling girl took a swig of her bubble tea before letting out a massive sigh and sinking back into her chair. Kai, sitting across from her, already knew what was going on with her best friend without even having to ask.

"Is somebody feeling jealous of their sister today?" She jeered.

"Maybe!" Elise pouted. She folded her arms and huffed a little. "I don't care though, I"m over it!"

Kai shook her head and took a sip of her drink. "Sure you are." The yellow Inkling raised an eyebrow curiously at Elise, who let out a tiny giggle.

"Fine, you win!" The orange Octoling rested her elbows on the picnic table and cradled her chin in her hands. "Maya and Hiro are going out to some fancy ballet tonight. I'm just annoyed 'cuz Maya knows I love ballet, and I really really wanna go!" Elise sighed heavily and looked away. "I wish I had a boyfriend or something to go places with."

"Why don't you try looking for one?"

"Because!"

"Because what?"

"'Cuz I don't think I wanna date just yet. I just feel so frustrated."

Kai chuckled softly and folded her arms. "Ellie, do you remember that day when you came crying at my apartment-"

"Oh my cod!" Elise perked up suddenly. She vigorously shook her head 'no' as if trying to erase the memory from her mind.

" You were bawling your eyes out!" Kai snickered. "You were all like, 'Agent 3 stole my sister!' and all that."

"Shut up! I thought we were never gonna talk about that again!" Elise squealed as she hid her face in her hands with embarrassment.

"Anyways, do you remember what I told you that day that helped you calm down?" Kai's expression softened as her voice became gentler.

"Um... that Maya is still gonna love me, even though she's not single anymore?" The orange Octoling replied. She rested her chin on one hand and let the other linger on the table.

"Well yeah..." Kai's voice trailed off. "But remember how I told you that I"ll always be with you?" The yellow Inkling shyly reached for her friend's hand on the table and daintily grasped it. "I'll always be your best friend! Relationships come and go, but friends are forever! R-right?"

Elise, shocked, stared at her friend for a few moments before her expression became blissful. She held Kai's hand tightly in hers and laced their fingers together.

" Right!" The orange Octoling squealed.

Kai let out a sigh of relief and grinned, with her worst fear being proved wrong. "Okay, good! Do you feel better now?" She asked as she got up from her chair.

"Hmm, not really." Elise looked away with a mischievous grin on her face.

"Oh gosh, seriously?" Kai replied. "I thought that would-"

The yellow Inkling's thoughts were cut off as Elise suddenly threw herself into her friends arms. After just barely catching her, Kai giggled and kissed the top of her head.

"Now I feel better~~!" Elise sighed dreamily and wrapped her arms around Kai.