Day 15: Mountain

"Why are we up here again?"

"Because! This place helps me clear my mind."

The orange Octoling girl was dissatisfied with her friend's answer, and began to pout like a child.

"Sounds boring!" Elise whined.

"You didn't have to come with me!" The baby blue Inkling laughed. "And you didn't have to come either, Maya!"

At the sound of her name, the pink Octoling girl turned away from a nearby berry bush and trotted back to where her sister and Dia were.

"Of course I wanted to come~!" Maya beamed. "I've always wanted to come see Mt. Nantai after Pearl mentioned it to Ellie and I. And, I wouldn't pass up a chance to hang out with you, Dia!"

"Neither would I!" Dia replied with a gentle smile.

She took out a neatly folded picnic blanket from her backpack and spread it out on the grass next to the bank of a tiny stream. She and the twins all took a seat on the blanket and began to take in the lush serenity of Mt. Nantai's base. Well, Dia and Maya did.

Elise pulled out her phone and sighed. Her battery was at a mere 5%, and today was the one day where she forgot to bring her portable charger with her. She flopped on her back and groaned even louder.

"I'm so bored!"

Dia and Maya shared a look and shook their heads.

"Don't worry- I planned for this!" Maya giggled. She dug into her own bag and fished out a granola bar studded with chocolate chips, and tossed it at her sister. Like a bee to a flower, the younger Octoling caught it perfectly and took a bite, and her mood lifted instantly.

"You're devious." Dia raised her eyebrows with surprise.

"I'm just resourceful!" Maya teased. "That's why I always carry chocolate around- that's her weakness!"

"I thought it was Kai?"

Elise started coughing forcefully, nearly choking on the granola bar as she overheard Dia's remark.

"T-t-that's not true!" She squealed, her face burning up. "Where did you even get that from?"

Dia smirked a little as she explained. "Kai. When she showed up to do some Salmon Run with me the other day, she went on and on about how she's gonna move out of her current place and move in with you-"

"She's gonna do what ?" Maya exclaimed. Her eyes glistened with anticipation as she awaited the last part of the story.

"She's gonna-" Dia began. She cut herself off as a piece of melon bread flew past her face and into Maya's lap.

Without hesitation, the older Octoling unwrapped it and began munching on it, her expression becoming blissful. Elise shot Dia a pleading look, and wordlessly, they both agreed to drop the previous subject while they had the chance.

"Maya's a sucker for melon bread!" Elise jeered. "That's why I always have some with me!" She chuckled, looking a little proud of herself.

"Twins, I swear!" Dia giggled. "You really do think just alike sometimes!"