Day 18: Sunset

"You love her, don't you?" Maya giggled. She couldn't help but laugh as Kai squirmed around uncomfortably after being put on the spot so suddenly.

"Why you gotta put me on blast like that?" Kai squealed.

"At least I didn't ask you in the group chat!" The pink Octoling replied with a mischievous smile.

Kai shook her head and folded her arms, trying to escape this conversation. She gazed out the window of the train, focusing on the sky's brilliant evening color palette.

"It's already getting dark, huh? It's only a little before five, and the sun's gonna set soon." Kai explained, hoping to take Maya's attention away from the first topic.

She groaned a little in response. "You're dodging the question!"

"I totally am!" The yellow Inkling laughed awkwardly."Okay, fine! I love your sister, what else do you want from me?"

Maya gasped a little and clapped her hands gleefully like a child. "Are you guys dating?"

"Nah."

"So, just platonically then?"

"Yup!"

"That's so CUTE!" The pink Octoling squealed loudly, warranting a barrage of annoyed looks from the other train passengers.

"Are you done interrogating-"

"When are you gonna move in together?"

"Woah- wait! Did she ...tell you everything?" Kai stammered nervously.

"Nah, I just read her diary."

The two girls laughed together before sharing a moment of silence. The brilliant orange glow of the sunset illuminated the train car. Pink, yellow, and burnt orange hues painted the sky, putting on a show for only those who were willing to stop and admire it.

Just as Kai got comfortable again, Maya opened her mouth to ask one more question. She played with her tentacles for a while before she finally decided on what to say.

"One more thing! Say if...say if Ellie wanted to kiss you, right? W-would you do it?"

Kai's expression softened as she ran Maya's question over in her head a few times. She smiled gently as her cheeks grew a little hot.

"Of course I would. I love her lots, you know?"

The pink Octoling looked satisfied with her answer and grinned back. "No wonder why she wants her first kiss to be with you..." She mumbled under her breath.

"What was that?"

"Nothing!"