Day 3: Nature Walk

"So, where are you taking me again?" Glaucon's boots crunched on the dry leaf litter beneath her feet as she walked along.

"Hiking." The green Inkling in front of her replied bluntly.

"Obviously!" Glaucon retorted. "But like, where exactly are we going?"

Hiroko snickered to herself. "These woods are known for being a treasure trove of different plants and stuff. The lake that we're heading to now usually has a bunch of good things growing near it. Like lavender."

Glaucon gasped with excitement. She trotted ahead to walk shoulder to shoulder with her friend.

"Dia's obsessed with that stuff!" The older Inkling exclaimed. "Literally all of her soaps and shampoos are lavender scented!"

The green Inkling raised an eyebrow. "Oh, is that why you've been smelling like lavender nowadays?"

Glaucon stopped dead in her tracks as her face flushed a deep red. Hiroko let out a hearty laugh and shoved her hands in her vest pockets.

"Anyways!" Glaucon squealed with embarrassment. "Are you looking for anything in particular, Hiro?"

"Lilies of the valley." Hiroko smiled gently. "Maya's inviting me over to her place for dinner later in the week, so I wanted to bring her something nice."

Glaucon grinned and threw her hands behind her head. "That's adorable!" The lavender Inkling replied. "Look at us- two hopeless romantics out gathering flowers for our wives~!"

Hiroko shot her a look of pure embarrassment, and nearly tripped over a stone underfoot in the process. Glaucon wheezed with laughter and grabbed her friend by the arm to steady her.

"I'm! I'm not...I'm only.... " Hiroko rambled on, her face getting redder by the second.

"Are you okay, first of all?" Glaucon placed a gentle hand on her shoulder.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Hiroko sighed. "I'm just...." She brushed Glaucon's hand away with annoyance and huffed a little. "Why are you like this?"

"Heh, looks like I found your weakness!" Glaucon jeered.

"Of course she's my weakness, I would do anything for Maya!" She exclaimed. "I would... I would love to spend the rest of my life with her."

"I know exactly how you feel." The lavender Inkling sighed with a dreamy look on her face.

"Do you think she'll say 'yes', like a couple years from now?"

"Don't even ask!" Glaucon scoffed.

"T-thanks, Glauc."

"No problem, 'lil soldier girl!"

Hiroko let out a massive sigh and rolled her eyes. "Please stop calling me that."

Glaucon burst out laughing before a massive expanse of blue caught her eye. She looked at Hiro, who gave her a nod of approval before they both rushed over to the lakeside with vigor.

Just as Hiroko had described, the Mizugami Lake's fertile banks housed a lush selection of various flora. The two girls had come at the perfect time, as the autumn harvest season was at its peak. With baskets two baskets full lavender and lilies of the valley, Glaucon and Hiroko let out a cheer as took a seat on the grass together.

A cool, gentle breeze blew through the two Inkling's tentacles, birds were chirping harmoniously in the trees above, and the stunning fall foliage provided the perfect backdrop for the moment. Everything was as it should be.

Glaucon laid on her back closed her eyes to take in the perfect moment. Just as she let out a sigh of contentment, Hiroko's eyes lit up all of a sudden.

"Glaucon!" The younger girl piped up.

"Yeah, Hiro?"

"Remember how earlier you said something about 'our wives'?"

"Y-yeah..." A bead of sweat rolled down the lavender Inkling's forehead.

"You're thinking about proposing to her, aren't you?" A cheeky grin spread across Hiroko's face.

"Um..." Glaucon stammered. "Possibly."