Day 5: Lazy Sunday

Hiroko lazily stretched out her arms as she woke up from probably the best sleep she'd gotten all week. Just as she was about to wake up her guest on the couch, she glanced over at the kitchen, only to realize that the squid in question was not only awake before her, but also looking through an old photo album.

"Mornin', " Hiroko yawned. "You're up pretty early."

"Yeah, " Kai laughed awkwardly. "I had a nightmare, so I've been up for a little. Anyways, I remember taking this picture with you and the Captain!" She excitedly pointed to an old photograph nestled in the protective film of the album.

Hiroko grumbled and grabbed the yellow Inkling's wrist. "Why didn't you wake me up or something?"

"B-because!" Kai stammered. "I'm fine, honestly! I'm not a kid or anything, you know?"

"I know..." Hiroko sighed heavily. "But I know how you are, Kai." A few moments of silence passed before she piped up again. "What did you dream about?"

The yellow Inkling's hands began to tremble as she remembered. "Flooders. I dreamt that you and I were caught in a maze of them..."

Hiroko shuttered as her friend explained. She got up from the couch as and took Kai by the hand.

"What are you-" Kai yawned.

"See, you're exhausted! C'mon, just get in. " Hiroko gestured to the bed, and sheepishly, Kai did as she was told.

Hirko grabbed her thickest blanket and tucked her in lovingly. Kai, still reeling from all of this, blinked a few times in confusion.

"Um...thanks?" The yellow Inkling stammered. "No, I mean... hey, wait-"

Her train of thought was cut off as Hiroko climbed in with her and rested her head on her shoulder.

"It's fine. We don't have to sleep in shifts anymore, remember?" The green Inkling teased. "And besides, it's Sunday. We can sleep in as long as we want."

"Heh, you're right." Kai chuckled. "Oh, and Senpai?"

"What?"

"You're really good at fighting off Octarians. And nightmares."