Day 29: Dessert

"So...you've never made Christmas cookies before?" Maya pouted, giving her friend an almost pitiful look.

"No!" Makani exclaimed dramatically. "My dad always said that baking was 'too girly', so he never let me bake anything with my mom!"

The twins gasped simultaneously and both covered their mouths with their hands. Makani folded their arms and nodded. "Yeah, it's true!" They grumbled.

"It's okay, Maka-chan!" Elise ran up to the azure Octoling and hugged them from behind. "We're gonna teach you, and it's gonna be amazing! Right, sis?"

"Right!" Maya replied with a wink.

The twins then got to work laying out all of their tools and measuring out all the ingredients, neatly arranging them on their countertop. Elise grabbed a spare apron for Makani before the three Octolings got to work.

"We're gonna start with the sugar cookies first, because they need time to chill in the freezer before we bake them!" Maya explained while she added the butter and sugar to the mixer.

"Freezer?" Makani asked.

"Yeah! It helps them keep their shape when they bake!"

The azure nodded in awe as they kept up with the twins' explanations. With the sugar cookie dough in the freezer, Makani and Elise washed the bowls and started up the next batch.

"Alright-chocolate chip!" Ellie grinned and clapped her hands together excitedly. She passed the ingredients over to Makani, who happily added them to the bowl of the mixer. The two finished preparing the dough in a matter of minutes, and it wasn't long before the chocolate chip cookies were in the oven.

Then, the three Octolings got to work rolling out the sugar cookie dough, cutting it into squid and octopus shapes. Once those were chilled one more time, baked, and then cooled, Maya began to mix up some royal icing for decorating.

"Is that... Hiro's color?" Elise asked curiously, peeking her head over her sister's shoulder. "I think it needs more green!"

Maya rolled her eyes. "No, it's perfect! Trust me, I know what she looks like!"

"I sure hope you do!"

The older girl shoved Elise aside playfully with one hand and kept mixing the icing with the other. She then filled up some small piping bags with each of the colors and laid them out on the countertop.

Makani gleefully picked up the lighter of the blue shades and immediately began decorating an octopus shaped cookie. Elise giggled to herself as she reached for the yellow icing, and Maya hogged the green icing to herself while she reached for a squid shaped cookie. Proud of their handiwork, the three started snacking on the chocolate chip cookies while the chatted together at the kitchen table.

"So, did ya have fun?" Elise put her arm around the younger Octoling.

"Lots~!" They beamed.

"Oh, good!" Maya said with a grin. "And you got really good at it too! Do you wanna help us make cookie boxes for everyone when Christmas rolls around?"

Makani nearly choked on a piece of cookie, taken aback. "I-I would love too! Can I really?" They stammered.

Maya and Elise looked at each other and giggled.

"Of course you can!"