Day 28: Play

A chorus of clicks, shouts, and hearty laughter rang throughout Dia and Glaucon's apartment Thanksgiving night. The two hosts as well as Frederick and Zack were huddled around the dining table, all intensely focused on their match.

"I have never seen anybody get this into a game of dominos. " Makani declared bluntly. They let out an amused sigh and started shuffling their deck of cards.

"Right?" Kai snickered. "And look at Hiro! She's over there doing 'commentary' on the match." She held up her fingers to do the air quotes as she spoke, getting a laugh out of Ellie.

"Of course she is..." Maya shook her head. "Anyways! What are we playing, Maka-chan?"

The girls gathered around the azure Octoling and sat around the coffee table together. Makani dealt four cards to each of them, and laid out four cards in the middle of the table.

"Signal!" They chirped. "I dunno know about those guys over there, but my family always played this on Thanksgiving!"

"Oh yeah, this game! My family did too!" Kai nodded.

"Uh, ours didn't!" Elise said quietly. She shared a worried look with her sister.

Makani folded their arms and smirked. "Ah, I bet you guys were a Uno kind of family! But no worries, it's easy!"

Thanks to Makani's explanation, the four friends started up a game together. Kai and Elise were a team, leaving Maya to Makani. As much as she liked the other Octoling, she wasn't entirely sure if she'd be able to pick up on their cues.

Regardless, the game breezed along. As the pink Octoling kept picking up and replacing cards from the center, she kept glancing at her teammate while also trying to keep up with the conversation.

"Which is better - apple pie or pecan?" Kai asked the table.

"Sweet potato!" Makani beamed.

"That wasn't a choice!" The yellow Inkling snickered.

"Pecan! But sweet potato is underrated!" Elise exclaimed.

"I'm not picky!" Maya giggled.

A few moments later, the pink Octoling finally picked up another 8, landing her a four of a kind. She smirked a tiny bit and started twirling her tentacle around her finger, like she usually did when she was thinking. Just as she tried to come up with some kind of signal to let Makani know, she looked up from her cards and let out a giggle.

"Go on, say it!" Makani whispered, as they twirled their tentacle around their finger, mimicking Maya.

"Double signal!" The pink Octoling exclaimed, slamming her cards down proudly.