1 - Beacon Hills

California is so much more beautiful than the dull, small town I lived in. Washington was nice and all, but when you live in the same town for eighteen years, things just become boring and tiring to look at. My parents were rather surprised when I was beyond thrilled when they told me that we were moving to California because of mom was being transferred to Beacon Hills Hospital. Due to a recent death of their last surgeon, my mother was needed and she agreed to go.

        Dad figured it would just be easier to hook up a trailer to the back of our car and drive to Beacon Hills, California. That's why we have been in the car for over a day in a half. We stopped once during the night to crash at a cheap hotel, but we got right back on the road in the early morning. Every once in a while, I complain to dad that my legs are falling asleep and that if we don't stop for me to walk around a little, I was going to jump out of the car going down a highway. 

        "I'm hungry." I complain from the backseat, just as my stomach growls throughout the car. 

        Mom chuckles from the passenger seat. "So I can hear."

        Dad peers back at me from the rearview mirror. "We're almost to Beacon Hills. Think you can wait five minutes?"

        "Five minutes until our new house where I can order a pizza or five minutes until the actually town, where we can stop at a restaurant?"  I lean forward to get a specific answer. My stomach growls for the second time, a little bit quieter.

        "House." Dad slows down for a yellow light. 

        I pick my phone up from my lap, clicking on the browser app. "There better be a good pizza place nearby that likes to deliver. I need food."

        "First time in our new house and you are going to order pizza right away." Dad laughs as we come to a complete stop. 

        I stare out of the window. Trees are lined up on the side of the road, much like they were back in Washington. I look back down to my phone to search for nearby pizza restaurants in town. "Did you expect anything less of me. Pizza is life."

        "You better marry the great great great grandson of the creator of pizza then." Dad presses on the gas once the light turns green. "Then, you'll get to have unlimited pizza."

        I click save the first number of a restaurant. "That'd be the life."

        Mom shakes her head. "I don't know how you can eat so much pizza."

        I drop my phone back in my lap after shutting the screen off. "Mom, I'm a teenager. I chill in my room all day on the computer and when I get hungry, I order a pizza." 

        "What are you going to do when you move out? Eat pizza for all three meals of the day." Mom twists her body to see me a little better. 

        I shift in my seat, wishing I could stretch my legs already. "Probably."

        Dad stops at a stop sign, glancing at the map in the middle of the console. "Oh, um."

        "Are you lost?" Mom sighs.

        "Mm. No." Dad snaps his head in either direction.

        I tilt my head back, groaning. "You're lost. I thought you said you knew where you were going."

        "I did until I turned down the wrong street." Dad laughs to himself, scratching his head. "Sorry, guys."

        "Dad." I rest my head against the cool window. "Next road trip, either mom or I are driving."