Chapter 1

Kate awoke after blacking out at the dawn of time to find she was back at her old training camp in Alaska.

"What am I doing back here?" Kate asked as her phone rang.

"Hello?" Kate asked.

"Kate, it's Mary, you know, your stepsister?" Mary asked and Kate was getting a strange sense of deja vu.

"Yeah Mary, I know, our parents have been married for years, but what's going on? Why am I back in Alaska?" Kate asked.

"What are you talking about, you're still on your training thing before becoming a crow." Mary said, confused and now Kate was even more confused.

"Never mind, what's going on?" Kate asked.

"Kate, there's been an incident. An attack at a ceremony here to turn off the bat light." Mary said, confusing Kate more and also increasing her sense of deja vu.

"What happened that required you to call me?" Kate asked.

"Kate, Sophie's been kidnapped." Mary said.

"Okay, I'll be there as soon as I can." Kate said as she hung up and turned around to find Mar Novu standing in front of her.

"I thought you were dead." Kate said.

"Everyone was dead Ms. Kane. Except you of course. But you and the other paragons succeeded in stopping the anti monitor and in the process, you created this new universe." Novu said.

"So, what I'm on a new earth?" Kate asked.

"That exists an earlier time period than your old one did, hence your feeling of deja vu. You and the other paragons have awoken in place of your counterparts on this earth. One of the many things that has changed is when your training took place. You are actually at the end of it and Bruce Wayne has already left Gotham." Novu said.

"Meaning it's time for Batwoman to pick up where he left off." Kate said as she began to understand.

"One more thing." Novu said as he waved his hand in front of Kate.

"What was that?" Kate asked as she quickly recovered from her headache.

"That was you receiving the memories of your counterpart from this world to help you better blend in, since you already drew some attention to yourself with that phone call to your stepsister." Novu said and Kate nodded.

"Great, so is there anything else I need to know?" Kate asked.

"No, you should be able to figure out everything else on your own." Novu said and Kate nodded as he disappeared and Kate began making plans for return to Gotham and her new debut as Batwoman.

Kate smiled slightly when she entered Crows HQ to find her father there, barking orders at his agents, all of them to find Sophie.

"Dad." Kate said, getting his attention.

"Kate, what a nice surprise." Jacob Kane said with a smile as they hugged.

"Mary called me, told me about Sophie." Kate said and Jacob chuckled.

"I should've known she'd tell you. And now you're here to get that job I promised." Jacob said.

"The job you were never going to give me and frankly, I don't want it anymore. I had a lot of time to think while I was training and I realized that I didn't want a job that would only help divide Gotham instead unifying it." Kate said, surprising her father with that answer.

"Meaning what?" Jacob asked.

"That Gotham is no better off because of the Crows, if anything, all you're doing is making things worse. You don't protect the people who actually need it. But you know who did." Kate said.

"Don't you dare say that name." Jacob said.

"Batman. I had a lot of time to think about him to and I realized that I was wrong. The accident wasn't his fault. He is not the one who drove mom's car off that bridge." Kate said.

"He brought out all the crazies in gotham, if it weren't for him, there wouldn't have been a Joker." Jacob said.

"Or maybe if it weren't for him the Joker would be the one running this city. Or the Penguin or any of the other bad guys he put away. And what about all the other people that he saved before he disappeared. Do they suddenly not matter simply because he couldn't save people that were important to you? Do the 24 kids he saved that day not matter? One mistake causes you to turn a blind eye to all the good he has done. And you call yourself a law enforcer. Got a funny way of showing it." Kate said spitefully.

"Who are you?" Jacob asked, barely recognizing his own daughter.

"Someone who's no longer letting decade old anger blind me anymore. Batman isn't the menace you think he is. But I only came here to let you know I was back in town." Kate said as she moved to walk away.

"Where are you going?" Jacob asked.

"To find Sophie. My way." Kate said as she walked out of the office.