13.

JUST A WARNING:
this chapter is intense.

Goode luck.

-•-
13.
Confessions
-•-

A few months later...

"Hey!" Annabeth said, smiling at the brunette next to her. "What will you be wearing to that party today?"

Yes, a party. Percy Jackson would've thought that he'd be the most surprised if Annabeth Chase went to a freaking party. But it was her mom's birthday and she (and Noah but let's leave him out, shall we?) had organized a "surprise" birthday party for Athena. "Surprise" being in double quotes for Athena probably knew about the whole thing but pretended to be oblivious just to humor Annabeth. That lady was a flipping genius.

Around a week back, she's walked near Percy and said, "I see the way you look at Annabeth, Jackson," while passing by, scaring the shit out of Percy.

Ever since then, Percy made a mental note that Athena was not only a genius, she could also read minds.

"That would be amazing," Daphne, aka Calypso, said, with a smile.

Percy was confused.

Annabeth had been uncomfortable towards him since the cheek kiss incident on Valentines Day. She wasn't like how she was before, she was more quiet and didn't talk much to Percy. She talked just fine to Noah though.

Percy tried to get the thought out his head though. But as much as he wanted to, he couldn't deny that his heart fluttered whenever he caught a glimpse of Annabeth. He kept his expectations low. Low as in very low, like, Tartarus (the random facts you remember after taking Greek Mythology in high school) depths low. After all, what were the odds of Annabeth liking him back? Sure, she'd yelled, "I LOVE YOU, YOU DOOFUS!" in high school but Percy didn't realize his feelings and that he felt the same towards her. He, being the dumbass he was, pushed her away and caused her pain.

And now, he felt the same ache in his heart when seeing Annabeth and Noah together that she must've felt when she saw Percy and Calypso together. Sure, Noah and Annabeth weren't dating but the chances of her getting together with Noah seemed way higher than the same happening with Percy.

"Do I love Annabeth?" Percy would mutter to himself. A tiny voice, probably his subconscious, screamed, Yes you idiot!

But he was too afraid. He was afraid of the consequences.
What if he confessed and Annabeth didn't like him the same way back? What if because of his confession, things changed between them? His friendship with her could get ruined all because of a stupid, "Hey Annabeth, remember your confession years back in high school? Well, I didn't realize it then but hey! I think I'm in love with you! Surprise surprise!"

No, definitely not.

He maintained his distance from Annabeth too. Not that it was easy. Whenever he'd see her, his heart beat would quicken and his stomach felt like a cage for butterflies. But he'd turn away, stop himself. He might go and do something crazy like confess to her if he didn't get a hold of himself.

"Hey," a voice said softly.

Percy turned around and saw that it was Daphne. He searched for Annabeth who was talking about the party to Daphne but had suddenly disappeared.