19

"Where's the food?" I burst through the doors. I was now standing in Ben Hanscoms living room. Today was Beverly's going away party.

Only half of the losers had shown up so far. "Hey!" Bev laughed as she got up and hugged me. Today she will be escaping Derry, going off to New Jersey to live with her aunt.

I pulled away from her hug just as Richie came through the doors behind me. "Turn up the jams!" He yelled with a smile. Richie and I came together. He just likes to take his sweet time to get in the house.

"It's loud enough with you here." Eddie retorted. Stan laughed from the kitchen.

"Food?" I walked towards his voice and into the kitchen, ignoring the argument that had just begun. I spotted a plate of chocolate chip cookies and went to reach for them.

"Ah, ah, ah." Stan shook his head. "These just came out of the oven. No cookies until after we have dinner."

"Whatever, dad." I pouted and left the room. When I re-entered the living room, I noticed Mike and bill had just arrived.

"Hey where's Ben?" Mike asked while taking off his jacket.

"He's in his room, finishing some measurements for something he's building." Bev answered. I walked over and joined her on the couch.
We decided to watch Richie and Eddie argue, since there wasn't much else to do.

"H-Hey (Y/n)." Bill spoke from beside me.

I turned my head, "Hey, what's up?"

"N-Nothing. I j-just wanted t-t-to talk to you. It's import-tant." He replied while avoiding eye contact with me.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Do you want to talk now or after the party?"

He sighed, still not meeting my eyes. "I'll c-come over t-t-tonight and we c-can talk."

"Ok." I smiled. He smiled back, yet it felt... fake.

I turned back to Bev, she was reading a magazine that was previously sitting on the coffee table. "Ooh whose that?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Y'know, you can always live with me in my room. I'm not sure how Maggie and Wentworth are going to feel, but it's still optional." My throat closed up a bit as I tried to hold back tears.

Beverly's cheeks were already soaked, "Thats ok, (Y/n). I'll come back to visit in the summer." She giggled through her strained and shaky voice.

"But that's in like a bajillion years." Ben sniffled. Everyone was gathered on his front porch, ignoring the impatient look of the taxi driver at the end of the driveway.

"Fine, then I'll come around Christmas if I can." Bev laughed.

We then smothered ourselves in a group hug. Most of us were crying, the rest were forcing back the tears as hard as they could. One by one we pulled away.

Eventually I let go. "You're taxi looks ready to leave." I smile through my wet eyes.

She nodded and sniffled. "Yeah I suppose I better get going."

I reached into my backpack and pulled out an envelope. "Here." I hiccuped.

She noticed the object inside. "What's this?" She asked while pulling out the tape.

"It's a mixtape, songs I wrote for you." I smiled.

"You sing?" She furrowed her eyebrows.

"Only for you."

She let out a sob and embraced me. I held her tightly. "Thank you for being my friend." She cried.

"Thank you for being my friend." I giggled.

We let go of each other. She smiled sadly, before trotting down the porch steps with her head drooping. The taxi driver took her last suitcase and stuffed it in the trunk.

Bev got in the taxi, looking at each one of us. She mouthed something while looking in Bens direction. His cheeks turned to a dark shade of pink.

I smiled, imagining the possibilities of what she could have said to him. Finally, the car started and drove off. Suddenly Ben hopped down the steps, running after the car. I smiled and ran after him.

We ran as far as we could, Ben couldn't go past the post office which was 7 blocks from his house. Richie and Eddie stopped outside the restaurant which was only three blocks after that. Stan stopped at the synagogue and Mike stopped at the butchery.

Finally it was just Bill and I left. We ran beside each other, ignoring Beverly's signs for us to stop. We didn't listen. We wanted this moment to last as long as possible.

We didn't stop until we reached the edge of Derry, at the bridge. We huffed and puffed, still managing to wave to Bev. Knowing this would be the first time we were to really separate since we met.

When the taxi was out of sight, the tears came harder. I wiped my face and turned around to see Bill still out of breath. He frowned when he made eye contact with me. He stood up straighter and came closer to me.

He grabbed my hand. "Its n-not goodbye, (Y/n)."

Then he kissed me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"So, what did you want to talk to me about?" I asked as we reached Bills house.

He opened the door for me, "I'll t-tell you later."

I nodded. "Y'know, it sounds like your stutter is beginning to go away. Like, you do it a lot less."

"Yeah, I guess." He shrugged. He led me up a flight of stairs. Once we reached his room I sat at his desk.

I noticed many papers, covered in color of different pictures. One was a sketch of me in the yellow outfit I wore on the first day of school. "You did these?"

"Yeah. You l-l-like 'em?" He sat on the bed next to the desk.

I looked at him. "Like them? Bill, these are amazing!"

He smiled. "You really think so?" I slid a drawing of Bev in front of me, colored red. "Uh, T-That was from a wh-while ago."

"I wasn't worried about that. And yes!" I smiled. "These are the kind of projects Derry should be proud of!"

He just smiled and looked at the papers in front of me. I looked back and noticed a notebook that seemed rather wore out. "What's this?" I didn't want to invade without asking.

"Oh, j-just a story I'm w-working on. I'll l-let you read the final copy." He replied. "Uh, I think now is th-the time I tell you wh-What's going on."

"Ok." I turned towards him.

"Well, to put it simply..." He trailed off for a moment. "I-I'm moving."