34. 𝙛𝙖𝙘𝙚𝙩𝙞𝙢𝙚

"so i realised i forgot to do something." vinnie said as he picked up a few things around his room.

"what's that?" marley asked as she picked at her nails.

"us actually being official, i mean we both said we wanted to but never actually did." he stopped cleaning to pick up his phone.

"not wrong, do you wanna be my boyfriend?" marley asked the blonde.

"no." vinnie looked straight faced on the line.

marley squinted at the boy, a small hint of hurt written on her face. she didn't say anything, she already expected an explanation for the response she got.

"w-what?" marley ended up asking after waiting for vinnie to say something.

"i said no. not because i don't want to—i do, trust me, but because it doesn't work like that." vinnie shook his head.

"what the fuck? what do you mean it doesn't work like that. it's usually how it goes." marley was starting to get annoyed. that wasn't the response she was looking to hear. she didn't mind that vinnie had turned her down, but the reasoning why was what had got her.

"it was shitty."

"wow, ouch." marley scoffed.

"stop. i didn't mean it like that." vinnie frowned.

"sounded like it." she rolled her eyes.

"i know, but i didn't mean it." vinnie said immediately feeling bad for his choice of words he used a few minutes ago.

vinnie really liked the brown headed girl on the line. he wanted to make asking her out a lot better than just asking through the phone. he felt like that was a pretty bad way to ask.

he knew there wasn't a chance for him to do it in person anytime soon. the most he could do was make an effort to the best of his ability.

"okay." marley simple said as she looked away from the screen of her phone.

"mars." vinnie waited for a response, "marley."

"yes."

"i'm gonna make it up. i just wish i could ask in person, but i can't. and i just want to make it better than just asking through facetime." vinnie explained himself further.

"i get it. i swear." marley smiled. "ima go to bed."

"oh alright."

"night."

"we aren't gonna stay on?" vinnie asked, his face full of confusion.

"not tonight. i'm really tired." marley answered quietly.

"oh um alright. goodnight. talk tomorrow?" vinnie said.

"yeah."

the call hung up a few seconds later. vinnie started at his phone for a few seconds wondering if things would be fine with them tomorrow. he knew marley made an excuse just to get off the phone, which was something that hasn't happened before.