The Devil Comes Back to Town

Start from the beginning

Rebekah glanced at Elena hesitantly. She nodded, "It's true. He's finally out of our lives for good," Elena squeezed my arm nervously.
There was silence on the other end for a few moments, no doubt Klaus questioning the allegiance of even his own blood, "I miss you, I'm miserable here," Rebekah continued, a small pout across her face.

"I'll be home soon," Klaus spoke ever so gently. I released a heavy breath the moment Rebekah hung up.

"He bought it, he's coming home," She spoke, shoving the phone into Damon's chest and walking into the other room. I get a tug of sympathy for her. This must have been hard, betraying her own blood. She'd explained her discontent for him, but in the end, would she really be able to pull it off? Because simply hearing her voice made her entire body tense.
______

Everyone left into a different room once we'd removed the dagger from Mikaels chest. After all, he was in charge of the actual murder investigation of the immortal hybrid. Rebekah and I sat down. There was silence. The normal awkwardness was hardly noticeable, as we were both lost in our own trains of thought. I tapped rhythmically on my leg, wondering how in the hell I was supposed to help her feel better.

"Rebekah?" My voice came out relatively quiet. I waited for her to respond. After a few moments, she didn't bother to say anything. I took a deep breath and continued nonetheless, "I know he's your brother. You're allowed to feel guilty. At least in the end the world will be just a little bit better. Right? And you contributed to that,"

"Why are you being nice to me? I've been a raging bitch throughout this whole ordeal," She finally spoke, and she sounded as if she were on the brink of tears. Even the oldest, strongest, and cruelest of beings were still people- who cried when things became too hard.

"Well, if I were in your shoes I'd want someone to say the same thing to me," I responded, my fingers still drumming absentmindedly on my leg, "And if I'm on your good side you might not murder me," She chuckled and shook her head. She was about to respond when Mikael's hand moved around. He turned to the side, coughing.

She sat back in her chair as he caught his breath, "Finally," Rebekah mumbled, eyeing the weakened man with both fear and hatred.

Mikael turned to her, his eyes widening in shock. I mean, how long had it been since they'd last seen each other? A century? Two?

"Took you long enough," She continued, playing with the dagger in her hand, an obvious threat. Perhaps it was just me, but she didn't seem half as confident as she pretended to be.

"Rebekah," He responded hoarsely, coughing and sputtering as he struggled to recover from the dagger.

She interrupted him, "Whatever fatherly rubbish you're thinking, save it," she took a deep breath, "Nothing you say matters to me,"

He nodded, looking down. I couldn't tell if he was recovering, now, or simply ashamed. He should be ashamed. But still, I almost felt bad. Almost. "I see," Mikael responded.

He stood slowly, searching his pockets, "Where's my dagger?" I hadn't seen anyone take it. We used our own dagger, not his.

"Elena has it," Rebekah replied angrily, "so you can forget your plans to use it on me." There was such malice in her voice, it was hard not to notice her deep-seated hatred.

The father took a deep breath, glancing at his wounded daughter, "You were never the one I was after,"

Rebekah chuckled bitterly, "Nik was my family, and you were after him. If you're coming for him, you're coming for me, too." So there it was. The familial love.

Mikael shook his head. Why was I always in the middle of other people's personal issues? "He blinded you, Rebekah, he killed your mother."

Rebekah stood up, walking towards him, "I know what he did, and he will pay for it with his life. But Nik was not born a killer, none of us were," She hissed, "You did this to us when you turned us into vampires,"