Happy Birthday Momo

Momo gazed at herself in the bathroom mirror, checking her nose over. It looked normal. The healing quirks at the hospital certainly did their job. And her concussion was gone as well. But, it wasn't about the physical problems that spawned from the crime. The problem was that it happened in the first place.

One crime.

One crime, one fight, one thug fought away from Izuku, and it ended with her in the hospital. She could easily chalk it up as an utter failure on her part. Since the Sports Festival, and with Izuku and Edgeshot's help, her self-confidence built up quite nicely. Her combat prowess was better than it had ever been, and her last multiple plans and on-the-spot ideas had worked. From the finals, to I-Island, to summer camp, to Kamino, to the license exam, she had done well. One could even say she did great.

She had fought All Might for goodness sake!

...Granted, she didn't technically win...and he was handicapped. But, it was still an achievement.

But, then one street punk gave her a concussion and broke her nose. Correction, she broke her nose from falling on her face in the middle of a fight.

...How heroic.

She shook her head and slapped her cheeks. She couldn't think like that. Not on her birthday. She was 16 and there was no way she was going to allow some drug peddler throw away everything she had built up.

"Happy Birthday Yaomomo!" Momo smiled as her face was squished against Mina's, and the pink girl's arms wrapped tightly around her friend. She had left her room and had just made it to the first floor before Mina collided with her. "I didn't see you come in last night! I heard about the fight and got worried when I figured out you went to the hospital."

And there it was again.

With how hectic things had become, Momo was happy to have at least a single day of peace. But, the events of the day prior had been attacking her mind. As confident as she finally was in herself, she couldn't help but feel prickles on her heart when she thought about her injury. 

Yes, it had been to save someone. But, it was still her first real crime away from Izuku. And yet somehow it ended with her injured and right back into Izuku's arms.

She had been spending so much time thinking about Izuku's wellbeing that she had hardly thought about herself. Izuku was top priority, but Momo knew that her confidence would always need construction. She was terrified of history repeating itself. One small slip up like at the Sports Festival, and she could possibly end up in another downward spiral. And then Izuku would dedicate his time to helping her instead of focusing on all of the issues he's trying to deal with.

She wanted and needed something else to prove herself. The crime from the day prior was not good enough. She needed a challenge to rise up to. 

She wanted to truly be a hero. To be someone's hero.

Sure, she had helped to save Kota. But, she had a feeling Izuku was more of the hero in that situation. He had sacrificed his entire body to no end to save Kota. He was the one that told them to run while he fought. Momo felt like she was just kind of...there.

Watching Izuku go through hardship after hardship made her realize that she had hit a bit of a lull. Things for her hadn't been hard. It was hard for Izuku. Her involvement in his hardships just made Momo think that she was also experiencing those troubles.

She was back into living easy. Hell, she even had a nice warm bed, someone to share it with, still had top grades, and her combat victories were on an upward streak. Besides being in a relationship with Izuku, history was literally repeating itself. Momo refused to fall down the same rabbit hole again.