Chapter 47: Surprises

The day of the showcase arrived. Megan was helping Lillie get her costume to the Battle Dome. They were entering through the back of it, through a door that lead backstage. Nanu was stationed there along with a surprise; Gladion. Lillie passed her bag she was carrying to the Ranger and embraced her brother, who chuckled and hugged her back.

"Surprised?" He asked. Kaholo and Raksha were out with him. Megan thought she saw a silver ear peek out from his hood too.

"Very! Bu... but what are you doing here, Glady? I... I thought Team Skull was..."

"Nanu convinced Guzma to let me come help in case Team Rocket shows up again. I'll be able to see you perform though. Do your best, Lil."

"I will! I can't w... wait for you to see it."

"I'm excited to see it, Lillie."

Raksha lumbered over to Lillie. He gave a bit of a yip in greeting. The girl smiled and hugged the lycanroc. He pressed his head against her back affectionately.

"Hello, Raksha. I'm glad you're with Gladion again."

He grunted in agreement.

"Kaholo, this is Lillie, my sister." Gladion introduced his lucario. "Lil, this is Kaholo, he's with me now too."

Suddenly, a little silver-furred eevee poked out of his hood and put her front paws on his shoulder.

"What about me?" She asked.

Lillie gasped softly upon seeing the little eevee. Gladion smiled softly and reached up, stroking her head.

"I was getting to you, girl." He told her then to Lillie. "Twilight's also with me."

"She's adorable, Gladion. And you look strong, Kaholo. He's taken good care of you both."

Kaholo nodded in agreement. He knew Gladion's done nothing but the best he could for all of them. It was certainly a lot better than what his former trainer did.

"Better get going." Nanu encouraged them.

"Right. I... I hope you enjoy it, Gladion."

"Pull my shoelace out, Lillie."

That got a laugh from the girl, which caused a smile to come to Gladion's face. 'Pull my shoelace out' was a joke they shared. It was during a time where they were able to play together, Gladion's team was with them, and so was their father. Silvally somehow got his claw tangled in the boy's shoelace, and Martin startled them. The helmeted pokemon had pulled the shoelace out of Gladion's shoe as he spooked, but it was a good natured spook. Since that day, they would tell each other to 'pull my shoelace out' when a surprise was gonna happen. Lillie hugged her brother again.

"I... Is Silvally doing okay?"

"He's doing a lot better. I'll be letting him out once everything's settled. I don't want to startle him too much, and he wants to see you perform. Plus, other people could be startled by him too."

"M... makes sense. S... see you soon?"

"Count on it, Lil."

Megan was smiling because she could just tell how happy Lillie was about this. She was getting to see her brother for the first time in nearly two years. Gladion was so happy to see her too. The Ranger exchanged a nod with Nanu as she went inside with Lillie. The two girls got to the dressing room.

"D... did you know that Gladion was gonna be here?" Lillie asked.
"I didn't. I was just as surprised as you were, Lillie." Megan answered. "It's so nice to see you smile though."