Chapter 40: Grand Trial At the Showcase

Back on Ula'Ula Island, they were taking a stretch break until the Showcase resumed, with the viewing of a Grand Trial. They were excited about it. They often got to watch Nanu do his and occasionally see Acerola do her Trial. This was exciting for them. Gladion had a feeling that it was Megan who was gonna be battling Olivia, but there is still Rick or Hau. Whoever it was, they'd better be ready. Olivia loved to throw them in a loop and changes up her Trial to challenge the trainer. He had to do a three on three elimination match, but had to return the pokemon he used after he knocked out one of hers and could only use whoever it was if another one of his went down. It had been a challenge, and challenged his ability to think on his feet. He passed though. The screen came back to Karla.

"We're back with the Grand Trial on Akala Island!" She announced.

The stage had been changed to a battlefield. It resembled the one just outside the Ruins Of Life, where Olivia held Grand Trials traditionally. The audience was seated again.

"We're still live at the Battle Dome for Alola's very first Pokemon Showcase. We've just had the Themed stage, and all of our contestants passed and will be participating in the next stage, the Performance Stage." Karla went on. "They are now preparing behind the scenes, so we get to watch the Island Kahuna conduct a Grand Trial! The match will be refereed by Pokemon Professor Kukui! Here she comes, Akala's Kahuna, Olivia!" The audience cheered as Olivia stepped into the left spot of the stage.

"And the challenger will be a Trial Goer on Akala, who I am told is a League Champion where she is from, daughter to one of our judges, Megan Anden!"

Everyone cheered politely as Megan walked out, no not walked, she strode onto the field, like the very champion she was. Electrocute was on her shoulder as usual and she had on the same flower crown her mom did. She took the right spot and bowed to Olivia, thanking her for the match. It seems that caught the Kahuna off guard, but she smiled and bowed back.

"I'm putting a twist on this match, Megan." She informed the Ranger.

"Oh? Whatcha got, Kahuna?" Megan asked, not at all deterred. Gladion caught a glimpse of a green sparkle from her Z-Ring, she had grassium-z fitted in.

"This is gonna be an off hand Battle Royal Style match. Two on Two, no switch ins or outs."

Megan smirked at the challenged, gently lifting the crown to pull her bandana over her hair, then set the crown on top.

"Giving me a bit of a taste of it, uh? Very well, I accept the challenge."

"Then let this battle begin!" Olivia nodded to Kukui, signalling the beginning of the match. He raised both arms.

"The Grand Trial between Kahuna Olivia and Trial Goer Megan Anden will now begin! Each Trainer will send out two pokemon, and the trial will end when both of those pokemon are unable to continue. There will be no substitutions or switch outs. Choose your pokemon!"

"Cobalt, Pohaku, let's rock it!" Olivia called. She sent out the midday form lycanroc from the jungle, only this one was blue and not tan and a boldore.

"Kailio, Pueo! Let's do this!" Megan called. Gladion was impressed to see that Pueo was now fully evolved. He knew her Kingdra already, and could tell the Ranger knew what she was doing when training her.

"Begin!" Kukui called.

"Pohaku, Headbutt on Kailio. Cobalt, Accelerock Pueo!"

"Kailio, Surf, Pueo, take to the air and use Steel Wing, meet Accelerock head on!"