Chapter 48

#CTG48 Chapter 48

"Cha..."

Agad akong napa-tingin sa pinanggalingan ng boses. I saw Iñigo who looked like he'd just had the hardest day of his life. Dahan-dahan siyang lumakad patungo sa akin at ibinaba ang briefcase niya sa sahig.

"I've had a long day," he said, sounding so defeated. "Pwedeng payakap muna bago mo ako sigawan?"

Hindi ako gumalaw.

But Iñigo closed the gap between us and enveloped me in his arms. I felt him relaxing as he got me near. I could feel the rising and falling of his chest.

Hindi ko mabilang kung ilang segundo kaming ganon. Walang gumagalaw. Walang nagsasalita. Hindi alam kung saan magsisimula.

I felt how he didn't want to let go... but he let me go, anyway.

"Why?" I asked.

"I had to," he replied.

"No, you didn't have to. You could've inhibited yourself."

Tumingin siya sa akin. "Cha—"

"She's your friend, Iñigo. You saw her earlier. You saw how devastated she was when she saw you."

I saw how his lips trembled.

I saw how his jaw clenched.

I knew he didn't want this... but I needed to understand why.

"I had to. That's my only answer."

I pressed my lips and drew a deep breath. "She's your friend—"

"She's my friend and you're my family, Cha. I chose you and if I had to make a choice again, I'll still fucking choose you, okay? 'Wag na nating pag-usapan 'to kasi tapos na. Nagawa ko na. Tinanggap ko na 'yung kaso," mabilis na sabi niya bago ako iniwan at dumiretso sa kwarto.

My lips parted at his sudden outburst. I quickly had to collect myself and follow him inside.

"Iñigo," I called, but he was ignoring me. "Iñigo, kinaka-usap kita."

But he was ignoring me as he was changing clothes. Muli akong huminga nang malalim. I needed to talk to him. He could still give this up. Hindi lang siya ang prosecutor. At hindi ko alam kung paano nilang nagawa na siya ang prosecutor sa kaso na 'to. But it's the Ramirez. Of course the devil finds ways.

Sinubukan niyang lumabas ng kwarto pagkatapos niyang magbihis, pero mabilis ko siyang hinarangan. He looked at me—frustration was evident on his face.

"Cha," he said.

"Ipasa mo sa iba."

"I can't."

"You can't or you won't?" I asked him.

He looked at me.

I could see the conflict on his eyes.

"Just... just be angry at me, okay? Mas kaya kong tanggapin 'yun," sabi niya bago mabilis na nilagpasan ako. He went to the ref and opened it to look for food. I was starting to share the frustration he was feeling. But I needed to control myself. I couldn't get mad. I shouldn't get mad.

Agad akong napa-hawak sa tiyan ko.

And when I looked at Iñigo, I saw him watching me.

"Cha, I'm sorry," he said, his voice on the verge of breaking once again. "Alam ko magagalit ka... Alam ko madi-disappoint ka... Pero mas kaya ko 'yung tanggapin kaysa may kung ano'ng mangyari sa 'yo... sa anak natin..."