Chapter 43

#CTG43 Chapter 43

The interview went well. I was asked about what my expectations were and then subsequently, they told me what they'd be expecting from me. I'd be reviewing complaints and they'd be technical. It was better. At least I wouldn't be dealing with people. Maybe soon in my career, but for now, I just wanted to practice law.

But with the salary I'd be getting plus the signing bonus, I knew that I needed to bring my A-game.

Nang maka-labas ako ay agad akong dumiretso sa café and Iñigo was still there, looking like he's in deep thoughts.

"Hey," he said with a smile on his face when he saw me. "How was the interview?"

I took a seat and faced him.

"What's the plan, Iñigo?" I asked him.

"What do you mean?"

"About your job—what's the plan?"

I knew that things between us were complicated at best, but I'd never abandon him. If he's dead set on doing whatever he's planning on doing, I'd make sure that I'd be with him every step of the way. Hindi ko siya papabayaan. Hindi ko siya kayang pabayaan.

"Can we have lunch first?" he asked.

"No," I said, staring at him. "You tell me your plan and then we have lunch."

Iñigo withdrew a deep breath and then clasped his hand. He was silent for a few seconds and I took that opportunity to stare at him—at that face... He should really be thankful that I like him beyond reasons.

"I already rendered my resignation," he said.

"What about the penalty?"

"I'll negotiate a payment plan—baka bayaran ko na iyong kalahati tapos iyong isang kalahati, kapag nagta-trabaho na ako."

"Okay," I said, nodding. "Don't you want to consider just actually finishing your contract?" I asked. I knew that the penalty he'd have to pay would cost millions—it's a big company and they wouldn't let Iñigo go without scathing him, at least. They took care of him for years... I knew that they wouldn't let him leave just like that. Not when he's already familiar with all the company policies and everything.

"I want to top the BAR," he said... diretso niyang sabi habang naka-tingin sa mga mata ko. "If I stay there and top the BAR, I'd have to extend the contract... Alam kong hindi ako makaka-alis. Hindi nila ako papayagang umalis."

I chewed on my lower lip.

This... is precisely the reason why people should read contracts first before signing their lives away. There's always a price for violating the provisions.

"Okay," I said. "But you're aware that they won't give you a shining recommendation and you'll probably earn a reputation by doing this?"

He nodded.

"And you're still willing to resign?"

He nodded again.

He looked directly at me.

"Never been surer," he firmly said.

"For the record, I still think this is bonkers."

He smiled a little. "Have a little faith, Atty. Viste," he said and I couldn't help but shake my head at his stubbornness. We're just both stubborn individuals. No wonder hindi kami nawawalan ng problema.

We walked but we couldn't find a resto that we both wanted to eat at. Iñigo looked at me and asked if I wanted to swing by at school first dahil kukunin niya na raw iyong ticket.