Chapter 00

#CTG00 Chapter 00

"I'm done. Ayoko na. Itigil na natin."

I looked at him and nodded. "Okay."

His jaw clenched like he didn't like what he heard from me. What was he expecting? That I'd beg him to stay? Why would I? I perfectly knew what I got myself into.

"That's it? Hindi mo man lang ako pipigilan?"

"Ano ka? Bata?"

His lips parted at my response. I reached for my bag and was preparing to leave. I shouldn't even be here with him. Ayoko na nakikita kami sa publikong lugar. Hindi naman sa nakakahiya siya kasama, pero ayoko lang na makita kaming magkasama. The law community is surprisingly small... Ang bilis kumalat ng balita.

"It was nice while it lasted, Iñigo," I said before I stood up and left. Mabilis kong inisip kung ano ba iyong mga dapat kong gawin ngayong araw. I just passed the BAR and I had five job offers from law firms. I wanted to study them well because when I commit to something, I give it my one hundred percent. Ayoko lang na mapunta ako sa trabaho na hindi ko gusto.

I was doing a mental list of the pros of accepting the offer from the Palma & Palma Law Firm when I felt someone holding my arm. Agad akong napa-hinto.

"What?" I asked him.

"Seriously? You won't even ask me why?" he asked, frustrated.

"No. You asked. I gave you what you want. Ang gulo mo."

He was breathing deeply. I could see it by the aggressive rising and falling of his shoulders. I could never understand him... But maybe it's because I never really did try... I knew this was just a temporary arrangement. I needed company and he owed me. That's just it.

"My God!" he exclaimed.

"What do you want?"

"I want you to fight for me!"

Natawa ako. "Seriously?"

"Shit, Cha! Robot ka ba?!"

Hindi ko mapigilan ang pagtawa ko. Was he seriously mad at me for giving him what he wanted? Siya itong nagsabi na ayaw niya na... tapos magagalit siya sa akin at sasabihin na gusto niyang ipaglaban ko siya? He's nuts.

"You said you're done—"

"I'm done with this game! I want this to be real!"

I pursed my lips as I stared at him. "But I don't want that."

His lips parted. He looked so surprise. Did he really think that I feel something for him? Malinaw naman 'yung usapan namin. Hindi naman kami batang dalawa.

"Do you want me to forward to you the copy of the contract? The one that you signed? And I got notarized?"

"What the fuck?! You got that notarized?!"

I nodded. "Yes. Do you want me to send you a copy? Para maalala mo kung ano 'yung usapan?"

He combed his fingers through his hair with palpable frustration. I could never really understand men... They're weird... They do one thing and mean another. I wish they'd just tell me what they really want. I hate wasting time like this.

"Charisse Faith Viste," he said, staring into my eyes. "Date me. Please."

"No."

"Why not?!"

"I don't like you that way."

"Why? Because of Jax?! For god's sake, he's still not over Kitty!"

Agad na kumunot ang noo ko. "No," I said. Why would I waste my time pining over Jax when he's clearly made it clear that it's either Katherine or no one. I didn't like wasting my time. I moved on as soon as I realized that he's serious about that girl.

"Then why?"

I looked at him.

He's everything I hated.

His shortcuts... I hated that. I work hard for everything that I have. I hate how he's using the easy way to get through law school. I always have this urge to slap him just because.

But I didn't want to tell him that. I valued him enough not to be brutally honest with him. Mabait naman si Iñigo... I just didn't like how he's taking shortcuts in everything. It felt like a mockery of my effort to pass my subject on my own.

"I just don't see a future, that's all," I said as I looked at my phone. I needed to finish my research. I didn't want to go to the interview unprepared. I still needed to read about the history of the firm, the vision, the mission, who the partners are. I needed to study. Not studying would give me anxiety.

"That future again! Can't you just worry about now?"

"No, sorry," I replied. "Are you done?"

He didn't say a word, but he continued to stare at me. I didn't know what was going on in his head. Why was he doing this? The last time I checked, he had a list of girls who were willing to have this 'relationship' with him. Isang beses na akong nasabunutan dahil sa kanya. Isang beses nasampal. Isang beses natapunan ng frappe.

There's no shortage of girls for Iñigo Borromeo.

I didn't even know why he's making a fuss over this. He didn't even give me a second glance nung una niya akong nakita.

"No, I'm not yet done," he said.

"Please say what you need to say, may gagawin—"

But my words were cut off when he kissed me. In public! This is against the contract!

"I'll see you tomorrow, Atty. Viste," he said, caressing the side of my lips with his thumb. He was smiling. I couldn't move. "I'll pick you up after my review, okay?"

He was already leaving, but I managed to shout, "No!"

He waved his hand and shouted as he was walking away. "I'll see you tomorrow. Wear something nice."