Chapter 39

#CTG39 Chapter 39

"Ms. Viste." Agad akong napa-tingin sa tumawag sa akin. I noticed that it was Atty. Buenasher's secretary. "Nagleave po kasi si Sir Gab kaya pinapatanong po kung pwedeng mag-assist kayo sa pagpapa-sign ng NDA 'dun sa conference room 3?"

Shit.

Nandun si Iñigo sa kabilang conference room dahil siya iyong in charge sa NDA. I wanted to decline, but it wasn't as if I had a choice... Kaya wala akong nagawa kung hindi ang sumunod sa kanya.

Iñigo didn't notice me getting inside the room. He was on the far side at may kausap na matandang lalaki. The old man looked confused and Iñigo was explaining something to him. How frightening must it be to be bombarded with legal terms... Kahit na ang talagang sinasabi lang naman ni Iñigo ay pirmahan na iyong papel at 'wag na 'wag magsasalita tungkol sa kung anuman ang naging problema.

Part of the job.

"Ineng..." pagtawag sa akin ng matandang babae. "Ano ba itong pinapa-pirmahan?"

I looked at the woman in front of me. She looked like the woman I saw Iñigo talked to before—actually, lahat sila halos iisa lang ang itsura. They all resembled trusting people who you could persuade with words. Ano ba naman kasi ang alam nila sa ganitong mga papel? If you're not well-versed with the legalities, you could so easily get lost in the jargons.

'The company is my client,' I whispered to myself before I looked at the woman and gave her a warm smile. "Formalities lang po," I said, pointing at the part of the paper where she needed to put her signature.

As she was signing, I did as I was trained—I told her all about the things that she'd be getting once she signed the paper... But I failed to mention all the things she couldn't do anymore once the deal has been done.

Worse comes to worst?

It's her fault that she didn't read the contract thoroughly.

"Salamat, ineng," the woman told me after she finished signing the papers. I forced a smile even though I felt so fucking horrible because I just helped the company keep thousands of pesos and depriving this old woman of the money that she deserved.

I stood up.

"Marami pa—"

"I'll just go to the restroom," I said, quickly standing up. Mabilis akong pumunta sa CR at naghilamos. That was just one person... Marami pa akong kakausapin. I felt like my soul was drained just from that one seemingly innocent conversation...

How the hell could Iñigo do this every day?

"Few more days..." I said like an enchantment. Ilang araw na lang, matatapos na ang kontrata ko. I'd get another job that's far from this soul-sucking corporate job.

God, I never thought I'd actually consider doing criminal law, but I'd rather do that than to do all these lies and deception.

"Cha," Iñigo said. Agad akong napa-tigil sa paglalakad. I looked at him with questioning eyes. "Kakausapin ko na lang sila. 'Wag ka ng mag-assist."

"No, it's okay."

"Bumalik ka na lang sa cubicle mo."

"I said I'm fine."

He drew a deep breath. "Dun ka na—"

"Walang pakielamanan sa trabaho, 'di ba?" I retorted. Hindi ko sinasadya na magtaas ang boses ko. I just seriously wanted this day to be over. I didn't enjoy doing this particular job, but I needed to do this.

He ran his fingers through his hair. "Okay," he replied.

I nodded. "Okay," I repeated his word.