Chapter 06

#CTG06 Chapter 06

"Charisse Faith," Dad called. I immediately stilled in my seat. Every time I'd hear his voice, biglang bumibilis ang tibok ng puso ko. It's as if I was being chased to my death—that's how I feel every time he'd call my name... And I knew that that wasn't how it's supposed to be. He's my father, after all... But this was how we all grew up—with tons of expectation on our shoulder.

"Yes, Dad?" I answered.

"Since you'll be on your third year next sem," he began. Humigpit ang hawak ko sa kutsara. "I was thinking if maybe you want to try working already? So that you can apply what you're learning in school."

My lips parted. Was... he serious? If I could proceed to my third year without my head exploding from all the things I needed to remember, I'd have eight subjects during the first sem—including Civil Proceedure. Tapos gusto niya na magtrabaho pa ako?

I wanted to ask him if he's trying to push me into having a nervous breakdown, but my question remained hidden in the side of my mind... I wonder what it would take for me to finally reach my breaking point and just tell him that I couldn't do it anymore?

"Can I think about it?" I asked.

"Of course," he said with a smile but I knew that he's already made up his mind.

God, I'd need better time management. Looked like I'd be working next year.

The rest of the breakfast was the usual—interrogation and morning report of our standing in school. Naka-hinga lang ako nang maluwag nang marinig kong umalis na iyong sasakyan ni Papa.

"Tell him no," Charlie said.

"No?"

"About the work thing. Tell him you don't want to work."

I scoffed. "As if he'll accept any answer other than yes."

Kinuha ko iyong bag ko. I wanted to go to school already because I never liked staying at home... but come to think of it, I never really liked staying in school, too, because I'm constantly reminded of all the subjects that I needed to pass.

I just wish for a day when I'd find a place where I can feel relaxed and not like I'm on the verge of mental collapse.

"You wanna be like me?" he asked in a more serious tone. Napa-tingin ako sa kanya. Charlie... used to be Dad's favorite. Now, he's like this egg shell that Dad walks around on. He was supposed to be the first lawyer in the family, but in the middle of his third year, he just snapped. Good thing Chase decided that he needed something from Charlie that day... Kung hindi? I wouldn't know what would happen.

"I'm okay," I said.

"Next year's the hardest. Don't work."

Ngumiti ako. "I'll be okay, Charlie," I said, smiling before I grabbed the bag and walked out of the house. Naglakad-lakad muna ako palabas ng village. I liked walking in the morning because it's the only time when my mind's free from thinking. Pinapabayaan ko iyong sarili ko na tumingin lang sa paligid at 'wag mag-isip nang masyado. But after that, pagdating ko sa school, that's when my day begins.

"Shit!" I uttered when I realized that my civil law codal wasn't in my bag. Kailangan ko pa naman 'yun ngayon! I chewed on my lower lip, deciding kung uuwi muna ba ako sa bahay para kunin... Pero paano kung makita ko si Papa? Minsan pa naman umuuwi 'yun sa bahay... Pero kailangan ko talaga 'yung codal... I doubted kung may magpapahiram sa akin dahil lahat kami kailangan 'yun...

Bahala na nga.

Bumaba ako mula sa library. Nagreready na para magbook ng sasakyan nang mapatigil ako dahil may nakita na naman akong naglalakad na sunflower.