Chapter 20

#CTG20 Chapter 20

They say you can do 100 good things and it only takes 1 bad thing to ruin all the good that you did...

When I saw Iñigo at school, I pretended that I didn't see him. I quickly turned around and took a detour. I just didn't know what I'd say to him. It was like I was seeing a different person.

He's been nice to me—really nice...

I didn't want to think about it. It's his business—it's his life. I knew I didn't have a say in that the same way he didn't have a say in my life... I was just pissed... but mostly disappointed. Why did he have to cheat? I knew he's smart. I'd seen him in class. Magaling siyang sumagot.

Why did he have to take the short cut?

But it wasn't as if I could completely ignore him. Ilang araw ko na siyang hindi nirereplyan sa mga texts at messages niya. And it was normal for him...

Pero sa personal?

I purposely waited for our professor's arrival bago ako pumasok sa room. I didn't want him sitting beside me and asking me. I didn't approve of what he did... but I couldn't exactly get mad at him.

He'd been unconditionally nice to me. That had to mean something in my dictionary.

"Viste."

I immediately stood up. My traitor eyes saw Iñigo who offered me a small smile and mouthed 'Kaya mo 'yan.'

"Does Article 33 of the Civil Code on separate civil action for damages arising from injuries require that there be a reservation in the criminal case to file a separate civil action?"

I drew a deep breath before I answered. I woke up really early para makapagbasa ako sa Torts. I knew I could take the easier way by reading the files Iñigo sent me... But I just wasn't that kind of person. I'd rather lose sleep than go about with life knowing that I took the easier way instead of working hard.

"No, because such action for damages are separate and distinct from the criminal action and may proceed independently from criminal action. Such is a substantive right and cannot be rendered nugatory by the Rules of Court," I slowly said, making sure that I said the right words because at this point, every recitation was crucial.

Alam ko na kaya kong ipasa iyong Torts... I survived CivPro and Tax... This should be easier. I just needed to exert more effort and not neglect it in favor of my other subjects.

"That will do," Sir said before I took my seat. I was careful para hindi ako mapa-tingin sa gawi ni Iñigo. Iyong huling natawag para magrecite, hindi naka-sagot nang maayos. She's probably unprepared—or not lucky enough to get ahold of those files.

Hindi ko alam pero parang ramdam ko iyong tingin ni Iñigo. I kept my gaze in front of me until the class ended. And when it did, I quickly gathered my things and headed out.

Akala ko mabilis na akong maglakad.

"Cha!"

I closed my eyes and continued walking as if I didn't hear him. But he was quick and in a second, he's already right in front of me.

"Ganda ng recit mo kanina," he said, grinning at me. I looked at him. He still looked the same—sporting that easy smile... The kind that could make me feel warm.

But something's different.

I just... couldn't see him the same way.

"May class pa ako," sagot ko. His smile fell, but he was quick to land on his feet. I wanted him to just get out of my way so I could be out of here already. I didn't want to talk about what he sent me. I didn't want to say the wrong words.