Chapter 27

#CTG27 Chapter 27

Today was Christmas... and I wasn't with my family.

Panay ang buntong-hininga ko. As much as I kept on telling myself that it's okay that I was alone on a Christmas day, I couldn't help but feel bad. Why didn't my dad call me? It's Christmas... I knew he's mad at me, but he really could go through this holiday without even asking me if I was okay?

Ganoon siya katigas?

I kept on staring at my phone, debating if I should give in and call first... It's Christmas, after all. It's about family and I wanted to be with family. And I just felt sad... so sad that I was alone during Christmas. Kasi kahit tahimik lang sa bahay tuwing Pasko, at least I knew that I wasn't alone.

But that's not the case now.

I was alone.

Because I kept on pushing people away from me.

Deciding against calling my Dad, I stood up and grabbed my jacket and wallet. I didn't know where I'd go, but I knew that I couldn't be alone in my condo. I didn't want to be sad the whole day. I needed to see other people.

It was probably a stupid decision, but I went to the mall and watched some Christmas movie. I felt some people staring at me because indeed, I stuck out like a sore thumb. They're all with their families habang ako, kayakap iyong bucket of popcorn. I just ignored them and went inside and tried my best to enjoy the movie. And then I got another haircut because I was feeling sad. My hair always got the brunt of my emotions. Malapit na akong makalbo sa sobrang pagpapa-gupit.

It was almost dinner time when I decided to go home. I tried to look for a resto to eat at, but all the places were full with families celebrating Christmas. I was sad for myself, but I was happy for them. Good for them for having a close family relation—God knows that's all I ever wanted.

Bumili lang ako sa convenience store ng pagkain. I'd just probably watch some movie in Netflix and then go to sleep... And then review again tomorrow para handa na ako kapag nagsimula iyong second semester. I couldn't wait for this break to be over. I couldn't wait until I was busy again, so I wouldn't have time to ponder and be sad.

Pagdating ko sa lobby, I was about to tap my card when I heard someone calling my name. Agad akong napa-talikod para tignan kung sino iyon. My forehead creased when I saw Rhys waving at me.

"What... are you doing here?" I asked, a little confuse because I was pretty sure he didn't live here. Gracey shared too much information that I didn't ask for kaya naman alam ko na nasa ibang building naka-tira si Rhys.

He smiled. "Merry Christmas, Charisse."

I smiled, feeling a bit thankful that at least someone greeted me today... At least, personally. My brothers greeted me. My friends greeted me. But nothing could beat hearing those words in person.

I may show that I didn't care, but deep inside, somehow... I care. A lot. And I hated it.

"Thank you," I sincerely replied. "But still, what are you doing here?"

He shifted his weight from one foot to another. "Well..." he said, dragging. "We had dinner in your house and Chase mentioned that you haven't been there for months."

"So?"

"And it's Christmas."

Mas lalong kumunot ang noo ko. I appreciated that he's here, but really, why was he here? I hated people meddling with my family's business. I'd never do that to other people. You could probably meddle with other parts of my life, but not with my family. I really didn't like sharing that details of my life... since it's really messy.