Chapter 18

#CTG18 Chapter 18

It was the longest cry of my life. I cried for what felt like hours. Iñigo quietly sat beside me as I silently cried. I felt tired... so tired. I felt like I was crying for all the times I didn't let myself cry because I needed to be strong.

But now?

I just... didn't care anymore.

"Sorry about my Dad," I said.

"Okay lang 'yun."

"No, it wasn't okay," I replied.

It's never okay to be rude to anyone—let alone someone whom you'd never met and you didn't even know.

"Okay lang talaga..." sabi niya. "He probably got the wrong idea. Syempre babae ka tapos 'di ka umuwi kagabi tapos nakita pa niyang magkasama tayo. His reaction—though admittedly wasn't very nice—was understandable."

I remained silent. I didn't want to talk ill about my Dad. I just wanted to apologize for how he behaved, that's all. It's our family's problem—I'd never talk shit about him with anyone.

I was told never to air your dirty laundry in public... because more often than not, people don't really care... They're just curious.

"You want me to talk to him?" Mahina akong natawa. "What? Magalang naman ako kausap. At saka marami na kong naka-usap na mas nakaka-takot sa Papa mo, noh."

"Don't bother," I said.

By now, I was pretty sure that he's already setting up my wedding with someone else. Seeing Iñigo probably just sped things up. He probably thought that his only daughter spent the night with someone whom he didn't approve.

That must've made him seethe with anger.

"You sure?" he asked again.

I nodded. "Affirmative. And again, I'm sorry for how he acted."

He nodded, too, and another stretch of silence filled the air. Unti-unting dumadating iyong mga college students. We watched them walk around the school. They looked so... happy. I'd say that I was like them when I was in college, but that would be a lie. Every time I'd think about my college life, all I could remember was the pressure I felt to be the class valedictorian. I studied day in and day out just to graduate top of the class.

Kaya rin siguro laging tinatanong ni Dad sa akin sina Jax at Yago... because all my life, I was number 1... But then these two came in and suddenly, his daughter's not the best anymore.

But I was happy.

I wasn't number 1 but I got friends... And honestly? I'd take friends any day. Hindi ko naman pwedeng kausapin iyong grades ko. Hindi naman ako inaayang magsamgyupsal ng grades ko.

"San ka pupunta?" tanong ko nang tumayo siya.

He looked at me—his face was serious. He never asked me why I was crying. He just quietly stayed beside me and listened to me cry. I appreciated that. I appreciated that so much.

"Bukas na kasi 'yung caf... Bibili sana kita ng tubig," he replied.

My lips parted. Why did I even ask? It wasn't as if he had any responsibility of staying by my side... Ni hindi nga dapat niya ako sinamahan kagabi nang ayain ko siyang pumunta sa Tagaytay. A lot happened since last night—things that shouldn't even have happened. I wanted to think that I was a bother to him but he never let me think that I was.

"Wag na," sagot ko sa kanya. I stood up and grabbed my bag.

"San ka pupunta?" he asked.

"Somewhere."