Chapter 10

#CTG10 Chapter 10

I got disapproving looks from Charlie when he learned that I actually went to the job Dad wanted me to take. We had a deal that I'd turn down the offer and he'd tell Dad that he didn't want to go back to school yet. But when I went there yesterday, I thought it might be fun... I mean, at least I'd get to apply what I learn in school?

Naka-ayos na ako para bumalik doon dahil ngayon iyong bagong schedule. Kakausapin ko muna iyong kaibigan ni Dad and from there, baka ipakausap na ako sa HR for formalities...

"Charlie," I called. "Talk to Dad. Just tell him you don't want to go back yet. I'm sure he won't force you."

"I thought you didn't want to work?" he asked back.

"It's just for the summer," I said. I didn't want to argue with him. I already do a lot of that in school. The last thing that I needed was to defend myself at home, too. And Charlie's not my enemy. Ayaw niya lang na magaya ako sa kanya. "Wala rin naman akong gagawin dito sa bahay. You know me. I get easily bored," I explained.

"Are you sure?" he asked. "I know it's hard to say no... but at some point, you'll have to learn."

Tumango ako. "Yes... I'm sure. Now, you have to do your end of the deal."

Charlie looked conflicted, but I reminded him of what he always tells me—you're the captain of your own ship. It's your life; you decide what you want to do with it... Because at the end of the day, it's your happiness at stake—not others, but yours.

And everyday, I still try to do that.

Little by little, but progress is still progress.

Pagdating ko sa company, nandun na si Mr. Tiu para kausapin ako. He just told me to talk to him if ever I needed anything and then he told me to talk to the HR for the briefing. I just thanked him for the opportunity to work for his company, but I doubted that I'd go to him for any favor. I just didn't like making shortcuts. Sure, nahihirapan ako, but I learn more by doing it myself.

"If you have any more questions, just drop by the office," the HR head told me. I just politely nodded at her. Pumunta ako sa lugar kung saan ako magpapagawa ng ID and then dumiretso sa cubicle na assigned sa akin. I was told na nasa labas pa raw iyong lawyer na iaassist ko, pero ni hindi man lang ako naka-sampung minuto sa upuan bago ako ipatawag...

And the work offically commenced.

I was given three complaints and was tasked to read them and do notes... and if I believe there's a probably case there, to find related cases.

And I hated to admit it, but I was enjoying the work I was doing. It's like solving a puzzle. May staements na naka-lagay, but not all statements are facts... Some are fabricated stories made by people to gain. And it was up to me to see through those lies.

"Miss Viste."

Agad akong napa-tayo sa pwesto ko nang marinig ko ang pangalan ko. My lips parted at first because I thought that I would be meeting the lawyer assigned to me... but my face fell when I saw who it was.

I should've known.

"Lunch?" he asked.

"Di pa ako tapos."

"Tignan mo 'to..." he said. "Sabi mo sa 'kin illegal na hindi maglunch. Tapos ganyan ka rin?"

I rolled my eyes. Talent niya bang ibalik lahat ng sinabi ko sa kanya? I said it before and I'd say it again... He'd make a damn good lawyer.

"Di pa ko tapos," I reiterated.

"Don't worry, 'di mauubos kasong babasahin mo. Maraming reklamo sa kumpanya na 'to," he said, shrugging. "Kain na kasi tayo."