Chapter 42

#CTG42 Chapter 42

"What—"

"I waited for two hours—"

"I didn't agree—"

"You didn't disagree either—"

"Silence cannot be construed as consent. Are you a law-maker now? Did you amend the law—"

But I wasn't able to finish what I was saying because he quickly pulled me and wrapped his arms around me. I felt him relaxing as he rested his chin on top of my head.

"Why are you so stubborn?" he whispered. "Why can't you just let me see you?"

Nanatili lang akong naka-tayo roon. Paulit-ulit. I knew he liked me—the feeling was mutual... but that wasn't the problem and he knew that. We're just running in circle here.

"Cha," pagtawag niya.

"What?"

"Graduation ko sa June... Tinatanong na ako kung ilang ticket 'yung bibilin ko..."

I pursed my lips.

"Do you want me to come?"

"Of course."

"You're just making this harder—"

"I know," he said, cutting me off. "I know what your problem is with me... And believe me, I'm trying my best to fix that..."

I remained silent.

If it only were that easy...

But I was pretty sure that he already signed the contract and he's legally obligated to stay in the company. Unless he wanted to violate his contract, there's pretty much nothing he could do...

And I couldn't blame him for that.

The choice had already been made.

"Is that enough?" he asked, barely audibly.

I remained silent. I didn't want to make promises. I knew I liked him... but I also knew that I didn't want to be in a relationship with him...

I felt like I was finally exposed to a different environment—one that made me see what I really wanted to have. I'd been able to live a comfortable life for a long time, but that didn't really make me happy. That made me feel so inadequate...

But Iñigo? He'd had a hard life. He's taking everything back right now. And that's his decision. Tanggap ko na.

At the end of the day, we wanted different things.

I wanted to be just friends, but I knew that he'd never go for it. Sinabi niya na sa akin iyon. That I could never be just his friend... And I didn't know what his plan was, but that's not my problem anymore. I was about to start the next chapter of my life—me being a lawyer. I needed to focus all my energy on that and that alone.

When Iñigo released me from his hug, I grabbed the key at lumabas ako. Naka-sunod lang siya sa akin. I felt bad that he waited for me, but I really didn't agree to his forced invitation. Sinabi ko naman sa kanya na marami akong kailangang gawin dahil may mga job interview na ako.

Sometimes, I really did think that he has selective listening.

"Please get a haircut," I said because I noticed that his hair was already long. He'd always had that clean cut. Medyo mahaba na iyong buhok niya.

"Samahan mo ako?"

"May ginagawa nga ako, 'di ba?"

His face fell again.