Prologue

It was a bitterly cold dreary night; all was not well as a young mother rushed her five year old son through the streets in a quiet suburban neighborhood. The turbulent skies above poured onto them as if weeping mournfully. Both mother and son were soaking wet with blood stained on their clothes. The little boy's shirt riddled with bullet holes. The mother was bloodied as well; however, it were not her own. She was average in height with an athletic pear shaped build. She was a gorgeous half-Korean woman with dark brown shoulder length hair, and she only wore a pair of black pajama bottoms with howling wolf decals all over, and a plain white tank top that exposed her midriff.

The boy was tall for his age with a fairly athletic build like his mother. His hair was dark brown with a shaggy cut, which he wore matching pajamas. They stepped up to a two story house with a dim fluorescent porch light flickering erratically. The mother pressed the doorbell while squeezing her son's hand trying her best to console him as she struggled to keep her composure. There was no way she could hide the anger in her eyes. She wanted blood. Her son stared up into the porch light with his unique green with an inner band of brown circumventing around his iris. He was dazed and traumatized, but most of all he was hungry.

A large tall dirty blonde haired man dressed in a dark blue t-shirt with a large white Washington County sheriff badge logo on the center of his chest and a tan shorts answered the door almost immediately after she knocked as if he was expecting company over. He looked down and narrowed his hazel eyes at the mother, while the son hid behind her leg intimidated from his large imposing stature. The mother collapsed forcing the man to catch her as the boy watched his mother holding her hands to her face sobbing. The man rubbed her back looking over at the boy with great concern noting that the boy's father was nowhere to be seen. The man looked into the mother's eyes confused, "What happened, Lilian? Where's Steele?" he asked; although, he already knew the answer. Lilian looked up at him not finding any words to say as she could not even bring herself to acknowledge it.

The man's wife walked out from the kitchen and touched her husband's shoulder. She was tall with an athletic hourglass shaped build and a dark skin complexion. She had jawline length jet black hair, and brown eyes. She wore a black t-shirt with text that said, "Native Pride" overlaid on a wolf howling at the moon and starry sky. Her skirt was black and cut diagonally ending at her knees on her right side and a foot up from her knee on her left side. "Bernie, let's bring them inside they must be tired. They've been missing for two days" she said looking down at the boy whose tummy was growling ferociously. She feigned a smile leaning forth to be closer to his eye level. "Are you hungry? Let me go fix you something right up" she asked sweetly. The boy did not respond only to bury his face into his mother's leg.

Bernie's wife turned and looked behind her at the bottom of the stairway as her five year old daughter watching quietly. Her daughter was tall for her age with a slightly athletic build with black shoulder length hair kept in a ponytail. Her skin complexion was like her mother, but she had her father's eyes. She wore white pajamas bottoms that had small various wildlife figures all over and an oversized white t-shirt that had an "It's Lillard Time!" clock with a Portland Trail Blazers logo on it.

She looked up at her mother confused as her mother approached her. "Go back to bed, Zoe" she said while nudging her shoulder. Zoe slowly walked back upstairs but continued to look back as her mother walked with her holding her hand. "If you are going to be up, help me get the towels" she said as she opened a closet in the hallway.

Zoe whimpered. "What's going on? Who are they mommy?" she asked.

Her mother pulled out a basket of clothes and rummaged through them. "...just do as I ask" she said pulling out clothes. Zoe walked back to the stairway watching Lilian bring her son inside their home, and Bernard headed over into the garage with his hands shoved in his pockets. She quickly ran down the hall as her mother walked down stairs with a set of clean clothes.