scintilla (4.)

scintilla

(n.) a tiny, brilliant flash or spark; a small thing; a barely-visible trace

I wonder when my next fight will be..

But I guess Dylan will call me when that time comes. I put my headphones on and try to make my myself as invisible as possible. I sit back in my seat and think. Just think. I like to do that sometimes. Just think and look around me, analyzing people. You can never know whether someone has a shitty live back home. Maybe they struggle every month to pay the rent, maybe they are not eating, maybe they're just very stuck-up.

~

A little while later the bell rings and we have to go to my English class. I stand up, pack my bag and head to class.

In the middle of the lesson Mr Summers says we have to do a group project. This project will probably suck, a lot. Mr Summer has a way of coming up with assignments, I don't know how he makes them up but he must have a machine for them or something. 

"I already assigned you to you partners so you can sit next to them when you hear your names. Drew, Sarah, Erin and Fred. Georgia, Will, Liza and Tyson...." I zone out until I suddenly hear my name.

"Ava, Hunter, Elijah and Jason. That's the groups for you guys, go sit with them and I will explain the project to you." I mentally groan. Why me? Why them? I watch the boys walk over to my seat and place themselves around me. 

"Okay, so, it's not like we love to do anything that's related to school, except for the girls in it" He winks at me. 

"But you're lucky nerd, we have to get good grades otherwise our parents will get very fucking mad at us so don't screw this up for us. Thanks." 

I watch Hunter with wide eyes. Me, screw it up for them

"We'll meet in the library after class to work on it. Never ever thought I'd say that." 

I look at Jason, grit my teeth and say: "Fine."

"Are you guys in the back done talking? I'd like to explain the project now." 

The class snickers but they stop ones the boys send them death glares.

"Okay, so the project is about getting to know each other. You have to write an essay about the other persons in your group and their interests. You have to connect them to you and write about in what ways the persons in your group are similar to you and in what ways he/she is different than you. You'll have to learn what they're like behind closed doors and just generally get to know them. This essay counts as 85% of you grade. So make it a good one guys. You'll have to work on it outside of school. Good luck and class dismissed!"

After class me and the boys walk to the library and sit down. Why did he have to pick such a stupid motherfucking assignment? I don't want them to get to know me. Hell, I don't want to get to know them

"So, what our all of your favourites?" I ask, shaking away my thoughts. I open my bag and grab a notebook and a pencil. They start to tell me stuff about themselves and I start taking notes of everything they say.

After a while I have a lot of information about them but they have nothing from me yet. 

"So what about you nerd? I mean, we love to talk about ourselves but we have to get to know you too, unfortunately." Elijah says and the boys chuckle.

"I'm really boring to be honest. I like reading, books and learning. That's about it." I look at the ground, not wanting to meet their gaze. 

"What's your favourite color?" 

"Night-Blue." 

"Favourite animal?" 

"Black Panther."

They keep asking me simple questions and I give simple answers. 

"Who do you live with?" 

I stiffen but as soon as I notice it I try to relax again.

Damn, I didn't expect that question.

HUNTERS POV

"Who do you live with?" I ask and I watch her stiffen but as soon as I do, it's gone. Making me wonder if I imagined it. 

"I- Um- My father." She says. 

"What about your Mom?" 

"Dead." 

"Fuck, I'm so sorry." I don't know why, but I really do feel sorry for asking. 

"We didn't know." 

"It's okay really." 

I can see it's not okay but she hides it well. I watch her look at the time at her phone and see her eyes widen in shock. 

"I- I have to go. Like, right now." 

I look at her, confused. 

"Why so soon sweetheart?" I ask with a grin. 

"I- Um- I- I promised my father to help with dinner. Hmhm." That was obviously a lie. I wonder why she's lying?

She looks almost nervous as she starts packing her things and almost runs out of the library. Me and the boys look at each other confused.

What just happened?

AVAS POV

Fuck, I'm late. I'm very, very late. My Dad is going to kill me. Goodbye world, I'll miss you.

I run all the way home and stop for nothing. As I reach for the doorknob, it opens for me. And inside is my father. Who looks like he is indeed about to fucking kill me.

He grabs my wrist and pulls me inside. He slams the door shut behind me and lets me go. 

"Who the fuck do you think you are?! You are way to late young lady! You are so going to regret this!" He slams my head into the wall making me fall to the floor. I look up at my very pissed off Dad and say "Dad I didn't mean to be late. I was in the library working on an assignment with some classmates."

He kicks me in my stomach. 

"You whore! Don't you think I know when you're lying?! You where hanging with boys, weren't you?! You little slut! I had to make dinner all by myself because you just thought 'oh, fuck my Dad, I don't care about him!' didn't you?! You only think about yourself! Egocentric bitch!" he continues to yell at me but I can't hear it anymore the pain is indescribable as he keeps kicking and punching me.

"Please stop father." 

"Oh, now you care. Fuck you and your stupid fuck buddy Ava! This will teach you a lesson never to be late again!" He keeps kicking me until I pass out from the pain.