serendipity (18.)

serendipity

(n.) finding something good without looking for it

This weekend has been kind of hectic. I have been helping Santiago with Liliana a lot and didn't have much time for my homework. All Tim did on the helping part was play with her and when she'd start crying, he'd quickly hand her over to me or Santiago and fled.

Today is Monday, so that means: time for school. Ugh.

Tim offered me to drive but I declined. I don't want to attract too much attention. And if Tim drove me, that would've been impossible. I drove myself a block away from the school, parked the car and walked the rest of the way.

I think about Hunter, Jason and Elijah. I don't really know why those boys tried so much to be friends with me. But they kind of help me feeling like a normal teenager for once -as if I know what that feels like- and I like that, so I won't complain.

After a very boring first period, it is now time for the second one. I sit down in one of the chairs in the back of the class. I'm a bit early but I don't mind. I grab the stuff that I need for this class out of my bag and lean back in my chair to enjoy the silence of an empty classroom before the lesson starts.

"Hi, hey! You must be the new girl." A girl I've never seen before breaks the silence as she sits down in the chair next to me and starts rambling to me. 

"Well, not really of course but kinda. I'm Reagan Elena Blue. But you can call me Rey, Ellie or Lena, I don't really mind any of them. I wonder if you maybe wanna be friends or something. I mean, I get it if you don't want to but I would like it because you can be my only friend and you wouldn't -"

"Hi. Um. Reagan was it?" I interrupt her. She is fumbling with some of her many box braids. 

"What did you mean when you said that I'm new but not really?" She stops fumbling with her braids for a second and looks at me with her dark brown eyes. 

"W-Well, you were here freshman year and like, half of sophomore and then you disappeared for a while. I thought everyone knew that but it seems like they forgot about you." She keeps fumbling with the ends of her braids. "Sorry, that was rude of me to say."

"No, it's okay. And, kinda true. I've never seen you here before though." 

"Yeah, I prefer to stay in the background. No one really notices me and I can hear all of the great gossip." She winks and then giggles. "I just never have someone to share it with though." She says with a slight pout. 

"It was a good idea for you to come up to me then. Now you can share it with me." Her whole face lights up when she smiles her pearly whites bare. 

"You really want to be friends with me? Even after I basically harassed you with my rambling?" I let out a short laugh. 

"Yes even after that." She smiles at me. 

"Great, cause I heard ..."

We silently talk throughout the rest of the lesson. We gossip, compare our schedules and find out that we have a lot of the same classes.

~

At lunch, we sit together. 

"So, do you have anything exciting going on in your life?" She asks me before taking a bite out of an apple. In the short while I've known her, she has loosened up a little and is not that shy anymore. 

"Well, no not really. I mean, I live with my two best friends at the moment because my father had to get away for work but that's about it." As you -maybe- can tell, I'm not very good at opening up to people. In that case, Reagan and I are opposites.

"Omg that is so cool! I wish I could do that. But my mom works from home so that'll never happen." We talk for a little while and then suddenly, in the middle of her story, Reagan falls quiet. Her eyes grow wide. 

"Um, t-there are people walking towards us behind you." I get nervous but hide it. He wouldn't dare. Right? 

"What do they look like?" She keeps her tone quiet as she describes them. 

"They're here now." I turn around. 

"Hey Ava, replacing us already?" 

"Yeah, what the fuck girl? That hurts you now?" The last one was Jason if you haven't already figured it out.

"Boys, this is Reagan. Reagan, -" 

"I know who they are. I haven't been living under a rock." I chuckle. The boys sit down at the table. 

"Hello gorgeous. You're new here too?" Elijah asks Reagan. 

"Um, no, I'm Reagan. I have been here ever since you still had your braces." Elijah clearly didn't expect this response. 

"Huh, um. W-What?" Reagan smiles. 

"Ever since you had braces. You know those big-" 

"Yeah, yeah, we get it." Elijah interrupts her while Hunter and Jason burst out laughing.

HUNTERS POV

We laugh about what Reagan just said. She looks like a nice girl. Beautiful too.

But not as beautiful as Ava.

What the fuck? Where did that come from? Shut the fuck up. Anyway-

Suddenly we hear my phone ringing. I take it out of my pocket and look at the caller. It's Velez.

"I gotta go answer this." I give Elijah and Jason a look and walk outside before answering.

"What do you want from her?" 

What? 

"Who is this?" I thought Velez called me. I check the caller ID. Velez.

VELEZS POV

/Bet you didn't expect that one\

I pull my phone out of my sons hands. 

"What does this dick want from her dad? Who is he? Imma beat his sorry ass." 

"Damon! He's with us! Calm down! He just wanted me to do a background check on her. I don't know why and it is also none of our business." 

Damon looks at me, no longer angry, and sits down. "Does sh-" 

"Yes, of course she does. And I'll send him exactly what she wanted me to." I sigh and bring my phone back to my ear. 

"Hello? Blacks kid?" 

Damon whips his head up to look at me. I roll my eyes. 

"You still there?"