pistanthrophobia (39.)

pistanthrophobia

(n.) fear of trusting people due to negative past experiences

I shove a piece of the delicious pancake in my mouth and sneak a glance at Hunter. This is our first full day here and we're going to the Louvre today. 

Hunter laughs at something Jason said and glances at me. I quickly look back to my plate. I look around the dining room, which is now serving as a breakfast room, and it is so beautiful. Just imagine a big, very fancy and old grecian styled room with an open kitchen and a lot of tables with pretty tablecloths.

Hunter laughs at something again and I look at him. His eyes are sparkling with humor, his mouth spread in a wide grin. I can't deny that I liked the kiss, because I did. It's just that I regret it a lot. Not because it was bad, which it really wasn't but because we can't ever work out.

"Okay kids, listen up please. The faster you all are quiet, the faster I'm done here." I turn around while the chatter around the room dies down. A few people who are not from our school give the principal curious looks.

"Thank you. As some of you may know, we're going to the Louvre today! Yay!" She raises two fists next to her head to show her excitement.

"I advise you to bring a small bag or a purse with you for your personal stuff or a bottle of water or something like that. We assemble in the lobby at 1 o'clock so make sure you've eaten beforehand, and I can't stress this enough! We've had students who passed out because of all the walking and not eating, so eat before we go, please! Now, the students who are over 18 get to walk by themselves and the people who are not have been selected into groups with at least one teacher who will walk with you through the museum."

A lot of people let out a groan of annoyance and I grin.

"You all need to do a little assignment that we will further explain at the museum. If you can show a teacher that you finished the assignment you can leave the museum if you want, but only if you are over 18. The other students will stay at the museum with the teachers until at least everyone in their group is done with the assignment."

She steps off the chair she was standing on and sits back down. I turn back in my chair and look at the different expressions around me.

Rea looks excited, she really likes art and has been excited about this visit ever since we heard about it. Elijah is looking at Rea, as always, and looks a little excited. Probably mostly because Rea is. Jason doesn't look excited at all and I can already tell he's going to sneak away the first chance he gets.

I look at Hunter, only to find he's already looking at me. He gives me a mischievous smirk before looking away.

What is he thinking about?

~

"C'mon!" Hunter looks back at me.

We've been at the museum for a little over an hour. We gathered in the lobby of the hotel, took a couple of busses to the museum and got a further explanation about the assignment. Hunter and I first stuck with the group that Rea, Elijah and Jason were in but we wandered off after a little while.

It's nice to see this place in the daylights.

"What are you saying?" I frown my eyebrows at him.

"I'm saying let's sneak out and get some ice cream or something. The art is great and all but I'm bored."

I give him a pointed look.

"What?"

"Fine, I'll come with you. But only because you'll get yourself into trouble if I don't. That door leads to a surveillance room, not outside." I start to walk away and gesture for him to follow me.

"I knew that." He grumbles, before catching up with me.

HUNTERS POV

Ava knows the way here surprisingly well. She got us outside in about ten minutes.

"Where to now boss?" I mock her.

"You wanted to get ice cream right?"

I nod.

"Well, let's go. There's this really cute place called Amorino. We can walk there, it won't take us long." And with that she starts walking somewhere and I have to do a little sprint again to keep up with her.

"I'm guessing this isn't your first time here in Paris right?" I look at her as we walk side by side.

She tries to conceal a little smile. "No, it isn't. And I sadly didn't really have a lot of free time back then. I guess the third time's the charm right?"

I chuckle. "I guess. It also helps that I'm here this time 'round." I wink at her.

She scoffs. "That's bold of you to assume, maybe I'd have way more fun alone."

She quickens her step. I swear, this girl will be the death of me one day.

I shake my head while failing at hiding the big smile on my face while catching up to her.

~

"You were right. This is so good." I say before diving back into my ice cream.

We're sitting on a staircase a couple feet away from the ice cream shop that Ava suggested. If you order your ice cream in a cone they make it into a flower. It is seriously cool.

"Told you. You shouldn't doubt me, I don't lie." She shrugs her shoulders.

"No, you just withhold information, right?"

She mumbles something underneath her breath that sounds like 'hypocrite' but I don't think I heard it right.

"It's not the same."

"It's exca- Nevermind, that was not what I wanted to talk to you about. Why didn't you tell me? And don't give me some bullshit story about the time not being right, you had plenty of opportunities."

"I didn't tell you because I didn't know you. And I don't trust people easily, if at all."

"So you just sneak out of museums into a foreign city with people you don't trust? Didn't peg you for the reckless type."

She shoots me a look. "We both know that I can protect myself just fine Black."

"I do know, haven't known it for long though."

"Can you just let it go? I'm not saying sorry if that's what you're waiting for. I don't owe you anything."

"That's true. you don't owe me anything. But is it so bad that I just want to get to know you?"