CHAPTER 1

It was my second year of being a nurse. I had just completed my internship and now have become a permanent staff in the Labour Ward. It was as if I was living my dream. Everything was perfect the way I wanted it to be. I had my dream job, I had just bought an apartment for myself, have gifted my parents their dream car and now I have finally been accepted as a part of the military force which has always been my dream ever since I was in high school.

As I was getting prepared for my afternoon shift in the staff changing room, I received a text from my nurse unit manager saying that she wants to meet me as soon as I arrive for work. So I quickly changed into my uniform and went to see my manager in her office. It was actually my second time being in her office. First was when I came to the ward for orientation and second is now.

I knocked on her door and she told me to enter and take a seat as she was on a phone call by the window. After she was done talking she then came and sat at her place and started talking to me.

NUM: Good to see you Priyanka. Are you doing afternoon shift?!
ME: Good to see you as well NUM. Yeah I'm doing afternoon. I was just getting changed when I received your text so I came right away. Is there anything I could do for you?
NUM: Oh it's actually nothing serious. *she said laughing*. I just wanted to talk you about this staff exchange program that our ministry has started last year, whereby we send one staff from the main hospital to the other country's and they also send one of their staff to our country to observe and learn-teach the new and improved nursing care that can benefit the care being provided for our clients.
ME: Oh is that's nice actually. So that's why we have a few nurses from other countries working with us every now and then?
NUM: Yes. And so this year the ministry has received a green light from 32 countries who wish to send their nurses to our country and also want our nurses to go to their countries to teach-learn what they can to improve the services.
ME: Ohh *nodding*.
NUM: And so the reason why I'm telling you all this is because you have been selected as one of the 32 nurses who will be going to the other countries as part of the staff exchange program.

For a moment I could not say anything as I thought I misheard whatever my manager just said. But when she repeated it again *while smiling*
NUM: Oh and did I mention that you are the youngest nurse to be selected. But ofcourse if you don't want to go then you can say so, theres no pressure.
ME: *after a few moment of thought* when do we have to leave? And what about my military enlistment? I have always wanted to join the military as a military nurse... what about that now??!
NUM: Slow down Priyanka... I have had that sorted out as well.. the military recruits commander has reported that you can join when you come back at the end of this staff exchange program. And also you will have to leave next week.
ME: Where will I be sent to by the way?
NUM: OH right... the most important thing that I forgot to tell you. You will be sent to korea.
ME: Are you sure I'll be sent to korea as part if staff exchange program?? I MEAN LIKE KOREA-KOREA RIGHT?!
My manager looked at me still with a smile on her face as she nodded her head.

KOREA 😊 *its always been one of my bucket list to visit korea. But I never knew that I will also be going there to work. Debak 😁😁*.

And then a question hit me suddenly..
ME: But manager why was I chosen. I mean it's just my second year and plus theres many nurses here who are more capable then me.
NUM: You were chosen because you are hardworking. Also I have noticed that no matter how difficult a situation is you always have a very calm personality and you are able to handle the situation very well. And besides its not only me who thinks you go, our whole department thinks the same and they are the ones who suggested that you should go. So do you have any other questions.
ME: No manager. Thank you for this opportunity and I will do my best not to let our department and out ministry down.
NUM: I know you won't. Oh and now you should go home since you'll be gone for 3 years so I want you to spend time with your family since you won't be seeing them for the next 3 years. And also all the paper work for your Visa has been done, you just have to send in your passport so that we can send it to the immigration department and your visa will be done in two days. So with that I wish you all the best. NOW GO HOME MY CHILD. * she said as she hugged me.*

So after that I went to tell this to my fellow staffs and they were all happy. They decided to throw a small farewell party for me *eventhough I'll only be gone for 3 years... but we always looked for an excuse to party so why not 😄😄*. And so they decided that we all should meet up on saturday which was 3 days from today at one of the clubs which we were regular customers at. And with that I decided to sign out and head home. I have not yet told any of my family members as I wanted to surprise them. However I did not know that another surprise was awaiting for me at home.

NUM - Nurse Unit Manager.

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

Read the next chapter to find out what surprise awaited for priyanka at home.

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

It's my first time writing so I hope that you all like it. 🙂

Peace out ✌🤡

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇