Chapter 28

Rox's POV

I winced as Dalton helped me inside the house- the first I’ve been here in like a week. The doctors wanted me stay to longer than intended. Not what I was really looking forward to. Well, to be fair, I didn’t know I would get in an accident so I can’t say I was looking forward to any of this.

The whole crash is a blur to me. I don’t even know how I got to the hospital. I don’t remember any of the impact. I just don’t remember anything. Dalton says it’s from the concussion I got from the crash. That’s not the only thing that I got from the crash- frickin broken arm! And my body hurts like a son of a bitch! The painkillers they gave me do not help whatsoever!

I just can’t believe that happened. Everything was pretty much falling into place. Red Wings was just a couple of months away from going on tour and now that’s been pushed back. Plus, playing the guitar again may not be in my future. I am determined to learn again though. But I have to wait for this monster cast to be taken off and, for well, my arm to heal. Even if I can’t play the guitar again, I want my tattoo to be okay. They said it was my elbow and above that got most of the damage but still. I would completely fall apart if the tattoo wasn’t okay.

***

“Here ya go, Rox.” Dalton walked into my room with a Red Dew, tab already opened, and handed it to me. I took it and leaned up to give him a kiss.

I took a sip. “Best boyfriend ever. Thanks for helping and everything. You know, since my mom had to work.”

Dalton shrugged. “Only for the best girlfriend and I would have helped you anyways.”

I rolled my eyes. “I know.” I took another sip of my Red Dew. I thought back to the accident but not of how I felt about it in the moment of it because let’s face it, I would never be able to if my life depended on it. But I thought of how Dalton must have felt during all of it. The last thing I remember is saying something to him and then nothing.   

“Hey, Dalton?” I asked softly.

He looked up from my guitar. “Yes?” His voice kind of made me laugh.

But my face became serious as I asked quietly, “How did it feel? To see me? To see my car like that? Everything?”

Dalton made a heavy sigh. “It was scary. There was this gut wrenching feeling in my stomach. I didn’t know if you were okay. Just everything was in slow motion, but when I saw you on the garter and they had a breather mask on your face, I knew you had to be okay. They almost didn’t let me ride with you in the ambulance, but I did. In the ambulance, I held your hand and focused on watching your chest rise and fall because if you were breathing, you were still alive. From there, it was off to surgery and stuff. I can remember waiting for you to wake up, I still watched as your chest rose and fell. It was just comfort to me to know it was doing that.”

“I’m sorry…” A tear slid down my cheek.  

Dalton set the guitar down and came over to sit next to me on my bed. He wrapped one arm around my back and the other in the front; enclosing me in a hug. I held onto his front arm with my left free hand and let the tears slide down my cheeks.

“You have nothing to be sorry for. The accident wasn’t your fault. None of it was your fault. And don’t worry about the tour, it can wait.” Dalton caressed.

“Honestly, I don’t even know why I’m crying. I’m going to blame the painkillers.” I laugh cried and Dalton chuckled. I used my right hand to wipe away the tears.

“How about we practice some songs?” Dalton suggested.

I raised a brow at him. “I can’t play the guitar.”

Dalton rolled his eyes. “I know that. I meant, I play and you sing.”

“Right… What song?” I asked. Dalton went over and grabbed my guitar, then sat back down on my bed with me.

“Personal Insane Asylum?” Dalton asked.

“Or we could do some covers?” I countered.

“Those are always great.” Dalton stated. “What one?”

I shrugged. “I don’t know. Just start playing something and I’ll come in with the lyrics.”

“Oh, wait! I have an idea for a game!” Dalton exclaimed excitedly. “I play the tune and you have to guess what it is.”

“No lyrics?” I asked with a sly brow.

He smirked, shaking his head. “Nope.” He popped the ‘p’.

I gestured my hand at the guitar. “Now that’s not fair because you could just start playing some made up shit.”

“I promise I won’t.” Dalton countered.

I shook my head, smirking. “I don’t believe you.”

Dalton acted offended. "Now why on earth don’t you believe me? I never lie.”

I busted out laughing. “I know. Now go.” I readjusted myself a bit. This game should be interesting. I watched as Dalton looked down at the guitar, placing his hands on the right strings, and began playing.

***

“Ugh!” I huffed out in frustration. I can’t get from a frickin C to a frackin G chord for one of our songs, my fingers keep slipping and I can’t control them really well with it.

Dalton stated, “I think you’re done for today.” Then he reached out to take my guitar away from me.

I protested, “No! I’m going to get this small progression. We have less than a month before we leave for tour and I need to do this.”

Dalton shook his head and still continued to take my guitar away. “No, Rox, it’s fine. Just be done for today. And you can still sing for this song on tour.”

“I know.” I muttered, looking down at the guitar pick tattoo, and I rubbed my thumb over it. It turned out to be okay; nothing disheveled.

Dalton made me look up into his pristine blue eyes, which he had rimmed with black eyeliner as always and I love it. “Rox, you need to relax. It’s going to take some time to relearn again.”

“Pff, yeah, that is if I do.” I snapped.

“Hey! You’ve gotten most of the chords and notes down. You’re going to do this and I know that for a fact. I’m a little surprised you’ve gotten this far in the short period of time since you’ve had the cast taken off, and you’re still wearing the brace. It’s probably why you can’t get that chord.”

I couldn’t help the smirk that crossed my lips. “I am just that determined.”

Dalton rolled his eyes and retorted, “Yeah, that, or you’re just really stubborn.”

“Can’t I be both?” I joked. That earned me another eye roll.

Dalton pointed a finger at me. “It’s what got me to like you.”

I stuck my tongue out at him. “I’m sure it was.”

There was a knock at the bedroom door and I looked over to see, Richard, our tour manager.

“Whad up, Richard?” Dalton asked in a bro kind of way. Yeah, we don’t treat our manager like most artists would and sometimes we don’t take what he says seriously.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to bother you. Your mom let me in and said you were up here.” Richard apologized. Sometimes he does not have a backbone.

I shook my head. “Nah, you weren’t interrupting anything.”

“Okay, well the tour has been pulled back up.”

“What does that mean?” I asked, a little confused.

“That means the tour is going to be sooner and you’ll be leaving tonight. No protesting.” With that, Richard was gone. So now he gets a backbone.

I looked over at Dalton. “What do we do?”

Dalton smirked. “I guess we get ready for one crazy adventure.”