Chapter 11

Some guy spilled his smoothie all over my shirt, some of it splattering onto my jeans and arms. I can tell you it wasn’t an accident as him and his friends went into a mocking fit of laughter. Another guy’s laughter joined them and a hand slammed on the table, making all of them stop.

“Who thought of that one? Was it you, quiff?” Cole asked to the guy who had spilled the drink on me. What is he doing? I can handle this myself.

The jockey guy stood up; he wasn’t as tall as Cole. But his muscle mass was definitely more; I have a hunch who would win the fight.

The jockey guy said, “Maybe it was. What’re you going to do about, pop boy? Sing me an insult?”

I could see Cole tense up. He should have seen that one coming. He is in a pop boy band.

I set myself between them and glared daggers at the guy. “Just leave, jockestien.”

“Why don’t you make me?” He asked, his tone taking on a flirty side.

I muttered, looking away from him, “Every day.” As you can tell, this is not the first time this has happened. Guys hit on me all the time- they spill their smoothie on me, apologize, introduce, and then go for the shot (asking for my number).

“Hey, don’t talk to her that way.” Cole demanded haughtily and set himself between the jock and I. Okay, the pop moron is going to get his ass kicked.

The guy peered over Cole, raising his eyebrows up and down. “She didn’t seem to mind.”

I rolled my eyes. “I told you to leave, didn’t I?”

Jockestein’s posy chorused in, “Oooos.” Then the jockey guy’s face turned red and Cole smirked big time. It was like a scene coming out of one of those cheesy high school movies. I’m not sure why Cole is smirking- I’m the one who came up with the comeback. Although, if it were Dalton smirking, I wouldn’t care. I don’t know why I care so much if Cole is. He’s probably thinking the same thing, ‘Nice one.’ Which not to brag, it was good.

“C’mon, we have somewhere better to be.” The guy gritted through his teeth and him and his posy left. That ended better than I thought. I really thought I’d have to break out some moves on him and protect Cole. Did I just think I’d protect Cole? What is up with me lately? I huffed and headed back behind the counter to grab a towel and a squirt bottle of cleaner.

I kneeled down to clean up the tiny splatter on the ground and Cole stepped in. “Let me help.”

I shook my head. “It’s fine. I got it.”

Cole insisted on helping clean it up.. with a napkin, which made it even worse as the napkin fell apart. I, internally, groaned. I know he’s just trying to help, but he needs to stop.

Cole made a nervous laugh. “I’m sorry.”

I shrugged, cleaning up the rest with ease. “Really, it’s okay. It’s part of my job.”

“Yeah, is getting hit on by complete assholes part of your job too?” Cole retorted.

I rolled my eyes, walking behind the counter to one of the sinks and used the water and soap to wash off my sticky skin. “Trust me, that was nothing compared to some other guys. You didn’t need to step in like that.” I dried off with a clean towel and held up my finger to tell him I’d be right back.

“Hey Tea, cover for me quick?” I pointed at the customer at the register.

She nodded, setting her magazine down, and straightened the orange polo shirt we’re required to wear. (The orange really pops on her light brown skin, in a good way obviously). She walked over to the customer while smoothing out her dyed blonde hair- she’s a newbie. But I trust her enough she can take care of this one customer by herself. She’s picked up making the smoothies quick and the customers seem to like her. Boss still won’t let her work any days without me there.