Chapter 8

I pulled up in Dalton’s driveway in my mom’s car. My car gets okay mileage, but not for as far as this trip is going to be. That, and my car can only hold two people. We’ll be having four total on the way home.

I looked down at my watch, groaning internally for the fifth time this morning- yeah, I’m not much of a morning person. But we have to leave by five A.M. so we can get most of the way there today. Then we’ll finish the rest of the ride there tomorrow, pick them up, and then head back, getting close to home once again. I planned for this to be a four-day trip tops. Dalton and I made up the reason we’re going to see my family and, luckily, we have pretty much no homework.

Right now, it’s 4:45. Where is Dalton? My mom only agreed to let me do this if Dalton was with me; I don’t understand her logic, but I’m okay with it. I still get to do road trips! Finally, Dalton came walking out with a black duffel. He threw it in the back as he got into the passenger seat.

“Took you long enough.” I huffed, putting the gear into reverse to back out.

“Someone missed their coffee this morning.” Dalton shot back.

I said I wasn’t a morning person, well Dalton is worse. The best thing for both of us to do is not talk until at least nine and after I’ve had some coffee.

I stuck my tongue out at him while putting the car into drive. “I was gonna get some on our way out of town, but now we don’t have enough time. No thanks to you.”

“Just get your coffee.” Dalton stated a little forcefully.

“We don’t have time!” I exclaimed.

“What do you mean we don’t have time? It’s only going to take you like three minutes to get one. Sparing that three minutes would do us both some good.”

“Fine.” I huffed and I quickly turned into the parking lot of a Kwik Trip. The only gas station where you can get a 26 ounce cup of coffee for a dollar and sixty cents- my kind of coffee.

I parked and, before I went inside to get one, Dalton asked for me to get him a Blue dew- it’s similar to a pop and the color is the flavor. So for example, blue is blueberry and red is cherry.

We were back on the road now-the interstate to be exact Dalton fucking passed out, which means I get to pick the radio station for a while. Although that doesn’t matter, I listen to the same radio station pretty much all the time- Rock 108. I sang along to Green Day’s ‘Good Riddance’.

They’ve been playing some of the slower rock; it makes sense considering the time. I mean, I love hardcore rock and jamming out to the loud drums and guitar riff solos, but at this early in the morning when I’ve barely gotten through half of my 26 ounce, the loud drums and guitar riff solos can be put away.

For a moment, I couldn’t help myself from glancing over at Dalton sleeping; he looks so much younger and cuter. If he ever found out I thought that from someone else other than me, I would beat that person to the ground. If he were to know how I feel about him, it should come from me, the right and proper way.

I wonder if my mom would have let me done half the things I did with Dalton (mostly late or early in the morning) if she knew I actually like him more than a friend. I can’t believe it… I just finally admitted that to myself. It feels great. Oh shit, he’s waking up. I fixated my eyes on the road as if I wasn’t just looking at him sleep.

“Hey, sleepy head.” I said with a small smile.

He gave me a sleepy smile back. “Hey, how long was I out?”

“Oh, just a couple of hours.” I replied casually.

“Shit, I’m sorry.” Dalton stated, sitting up more, and rubbed his eyes.