Chapter 21

“What is that, Rox?” Mom asked as I walked into the kitchen.

“What’re you taking about, mom?” I asked. I really didn’t know.

She grabbed my hand and looked at the ring. “Dang! Cole give this to you?” I couldn’t help but laugh. My mom is such a teenager at times.  

“He did. I’m surprised you’re more concerned about that when I’m wearing this.” She took a step back and overlooked my outfit more.

“Whoa Rox, what’s the occasion?”

“I was gonna get back at Cole for being a complete ass earlier, but turns out it was all because he didn’t want give anything away about the surprise.”

“So the ring was the surprise? It wasn’t that kind of ring surprise? Cause’ you’ve only been going out for a month and you’re too young. I think that’s what I’m supposed to say..” We both chorused in laughs.

“No, it’s just a promise ring.” I replied, still laughing a bit.

“A promise ring? I thought you didn’t want to date him in the first place?” She asked, going over to the fridge, and grabbed an orange out of one of the bottom drawers.

I sighed. “I didn’t, but he’s growing on me.”

“Are you sure it’s not the stuff he’s buying for you?” She eyed the ring again.

I dropped my jaw and hit in her in arm. “Mom! No!”

She mumbled, starting to peel the orange, “I was just asking.” The orange aroma filled the air quickly. I was used to all kinds of fruit smelling things but this particular orange was strong. My nostrils kind of burned. How was my mom’s not?

“No, really, he’s growing on me.”

“What about Dalton? How’s he dealing with it?”

I shrugged. “He’s okay. He was the one who said I should go out with him even though we both admitted we liked each other more than friends and kissed. Plus, this can’t leave the house, he sang with the IM5 crew and they did a rehearsed dance routine.”

My mom dropped the orange she had been peeling and looked at me wide eyed. “He did what? Dalton sang with a pop group and did cheesy dance moves?”

Have I ever mentioned I love my mom at times? I do and it’s these moments when she acts just like a teenager again. But she really isn’t that old, midthirties. Yeah, mom and dad had me when they were eighteen. Young, I know, but they were in love and they really were. Who knew it’d end so soon with my dad’s illness? My mom always says their love never ended when he left-it’s eternal. It’s kind of how I feel towards Dalton, but I hope he never gets seriously injured or in critical condition. I don’t know what I’d do without him-even as a friend… for now.

I made a small laugh. “Actually, the dance moves were pretty cool. Kind of the street style, hip-hop moves. But the singing, I was shocked because you can still completely tell his voice is more rockish than poppy.”

“That’s because you’re used to hearing his rock voice. But wow, that would shock me. Heck, I’m just shocked hearing about it. So you and Cole are okay then?”

I let out a heavy sigh. “Yeah… well, I’m gonna hit the hay. It’s close to midnight and I’m tired from all the clubbing. A lot has happened tonight.”

She moved to hug me and gave me a kiss on the head. “Okay, Rox, good night.”

“Good night.” I said back and, at that, I headed upstairs to my room. I stripped out of the clubbing get up and put on a big comfy white tee-which I am so thankful for.

Although Cole did say I looked good and so did some other guys at the clubs. I got quite a few glances and then there were the few who actually attempted to dance with me. Cole was quick to be there. I had to hold him close so he wouldn’t thrash any of them. I also had to stay close to Dalton- only for The Star club though. He went home after that one, claiming it’s not his scene. Pff yeah, and it’s my scene? If I could use that excuse, and not go clubbing, I would have. It wasn’t that bad though since I had a group of people to go with. For once, in a long time, I fell asleep right away.