Chapter 9

“Shit!” I exclaimed, hopping out of the bed. “Dalton, get up! We overslept! It’s almost six.”

Dalton jumped up, falling out of the bed onto the floor, and he groaned.

Quickly, I pulled on my black skinnies and faded blue Nirvana shirt, and my grey vans. Then I threw all my other clothes in my bag and ran into the bathroom to do as much clean up to myself as I could- no time for a shower, which sucks.

“I’ll go check us out.” I said, trying not yell, as I slipped out the door with my purple duffel.

“Oka-“ Dalton was cut off as I shut the door. I was taking the stairwell two stairs at a time- no time to wait for the elevator- although considering the time I probably could have.

Breathless, I said, “I’d like to check out.”

The girl, who looks a little older than me, at the computer looked over at me and nodded. “What room?”

“518.”

“Oh, here it is. How was the room? Was your stay, okay?” I can tell that those questions are mandatory to ask because I get asked that every time I stay here, I swear.

I nodded. “Yeah, it was great.”

“Okay." She gave me a friendly smile. “It’s all taken care of.”

“Thanks.” I gave her a smile.

“Hope you come back to Sunnydays Inn and have a nice day.”

I tapped the counter. “Will do and you too.” I took that as my cue to walk away. I stood there for another three minutes and the girl looked at me again for the tenth time. I can’t stand here any longer. I texted Dalton that I was going to get the car and walked outside. I pulled the car out front in the entrance. I sat there for at least another five minutes and the gaslight went off- are you kidding me? I thought we had a half a tank?

I saw a gas station across the street and I glanced once more inside. I didn’t see him. What in the world is he doing? Please don’t tell me he’s taking a shower. I didn’t take one.

I huffed and pulled out of the parking lot and made my way over to a gas pump. While it filled up, Iran inside to see what they had for breakfast stuff. I grabbed a piece of breakfast pizza, potato cakes, and a sausage, egg, and cheese croissant, and two orange juices. The piece of pizza is for Dalton and the croissant is for me. Then you can guess we’re going to share the potato cakes. I checked out and ran back out to the car. I took the gas pump out and picked the receipt- fifty freaking bucks! What in the heck!? My mom better be giving me money for this; It’s her car, not mine. I mean, she’s letting me use it for this trip, but still. This gas better last us until at least halfway to our destination in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

I whipped back into the hotel’s parking lot to see Dalton standing in the entrance, holding his duffel. He looked irritated or annoyed, either way that’s not good for me. He got in and asked, “Where were you?”

“I had to go fill up with gas and I got us breakfast.” I replied, pulling us out of the parking lot and I typed in our destination into the GPS again. Then I followed it to get us back onto the freeway then the interstate. Dalton still hadn’t said anything else- was he really that mad at me?

“Dalton, are you mad at me or something?” I asked.

“It’s not that I’m mad at you. I’m more mad at that front desk chick.”

“What’d she do?” What could she have possibly done to make him this irritated? It takes a lot to get him worked up.

“Well, would you believe me if I told you that she thought you were hot?” Dalton looked over at me with a serious face; he was telling the truth.