Chapter 27

Dalton's POV

‘Miss Amnesia’ started playing on my phone, notifying me that Rox was calling. I recorded a bit of it to set as her ringtone. It is her song after all.

I picked up and asked teasingly, “Hey, how was shopping?”

Her light laugh came through the phone, making me smile. “It was good. I’ve got a… a sexy surprise for you.” Rox stated and I could tell her tone was sly. I couldn’t help but think of her in a black lace bra and underwear set.

I made a small laugh and then a cough to cover from the built up of pressure. “Can’t wait to see it.”

“Me either. I’ll see you in a bit. Just turnin-“ I heard a high pitched scream, which caused me to jump and drop my phone on the bed. Even though my phone was lying next to me on the bed, I still heard the harsh crashing sound. I fumbled to pick up my phone.

When I finally got my phone to my ear, I couldn’t hear anything except lights blinking and a car’s horn.

“Rox! Rox! Answer me!” I yelled with urgency. Nothing. I tried to calm myself down to make my racing heart stop from pumping in my ears, so I could try and hear her breathing. Just nothing.

Some sirens played in the distance, and I didn’t need to hear it through my phone. I threw my phone down on the bed and ran outside. I wasn’t just running, I was full out sprinting. Where did it happen? She mentioned she was just turning into somewhere and if I can hear the sirens- it had to be the only turn to get into our neighborhood.

When I reached the turn, the first thing I saw was Rox’s slug bug beat to shit. The whole passenger side was bent in so much it reached the driver’s side- granted her car is small. The other vehicle was a blue Ford F150 truck with barely a scratch. I’ve told Rox she should get a new car but I don’t even have a car myself so I can’t really say anything.

There was already a crowd of people surrounding the scene. I had push through everyone and it just felt like an eternity before I saw Rox on a garter and being hauled into an ambulance. I tried to get over to the ambulance, but this ahole cop stopped me. “You can't go past this point, son.”

“I am not your son!” I snapped. “You have to let me through! That’s my girlfriend!” I pointed in the direction of the ambulance.

He shook his head. “Sorry, can’t let you through.” I am two seconds away from punching this guy in the face and I don’t care if he is a cop. But I gave him a begging look with wide eyes to please let me through.

His jaw clenched once more before he said, “Just go.”

I pushed past him and ran towards the ambulance. Right before they shut the door, I caught it and hopped in, then shut the door behind me. The paramedics gave me looks like to stay out of the way. I moved to sit beside Rox on her left and my hands shook a little as I held her left hand. Her skin was pale, she had a busted lip, purple and blue bruises all over, and her right arm was completely misshapen. She must have been driving one handed again with her right. Well that, and that’s the side she had most of the impact. She looked terrible but she’s breathing still- that’s the key thing.

What asshole drove into her? I didn’t even see the other person. Maybe they were taken in a different ambulance. I don’t even want to see that person. Probably drunk or some shit.

I continued to hold Rox’s hand between mine and looked at her. She just looks like she’s sleeping. I just hope she’s not feeling any of the pain. She did black out right away. But when she wakes up… she’s going to be in for a world of pain.