Chapter 14

I huffed. “And now I don’t know what to do.”

My mother nodded, mumbling, “Mhm… Mmm.” She didn’t say anything.

I, finally, told my mom everything. Even included the part where I have a crush on Dalton. Which then she said he can't stay over anymore and I can't stay over at his grandma’s. I quickly protested and said we are just friends and she should know if anything were to of happen, it would have happened by now. So, he can only stay over if she’s home and the door to my room is open. Either that, or we sleep downstairs in the living room on the couches. Maybe I should have left my feelings for Dalton part out.

“Mom.” I whined. “What do you think I should do?”

She shrugged. “Beats me.”

“Mom.” I whined again.

“Sorry Rox, I’m not deciding this one for you. Might be the most cliché advice I can give you, but just follow what your heart is telling you.”

I rolled my eyes. “I don’t know what my heart is telling me to do. That’s why I’m asking you for help.”

“I’m not going to tell you what you should do. Now, I’m going to bed.” She huffed and walked upstairs.

I groaned. I don’t know what to do. Maybe I should just go out with Cole and see how it goes.

***

“Hey Dalton, I need to talk to you.” I said into the phone.

“About what? Is your mom, okay?” Dalton asked, his tone slightly alerted.

I made a small laugh. “No, she’s okay. She just went to bed. It’s about Cole.”

“Yeah, what about him?”

Hesitantly, I said, “He asked me out on a date.”

“Are you going to go out with him?”

I shrugged, even though he couldn’t see me. “I’m thinking about it.”

“I thought you said he was just some pop boy moron?”

Again, I shrugged to myself. "Well, he stopped by tonight and we just talked. I’m a little shocked myself to say this, but he’s actually a pretty decent guy.”

“And why are you telling me this?” His voice was a little rough.

“Because you’re my best friend, Dalton, that’s why and I want to make sure you’re okay with it. If you’re not, then I won’t go out with him.”

He sighed. “Yeah… sure.”

“You don’t sound so sure.”

“It’s fine. I’m okay with it.”

“You can tell me the truth, Dalton.”

“Just go out with him, okay? I’m tired from moving furniture so I’m gonna go to bed.” Before I could say good night, he hung up. His use of tone kind stunned me and the way he ended it abruptly made tears prick at my eyes. I sat on my bed and let the silent tears stream down my face. Am I doing the right thing here?

***

I walked down the hallway to my locker and opened it up. I unpacked my pre-calc textbook from my messenger bag, then grabbed my Government textbook. I haven’t seen Dalton at all today. He texted me this morning saying he didn’t need a ride to school, yet he wasn’t in pre-calc. I hope he’s not skipping. And I most definitely hope that this isn’t about the whole going out on a date with Cole thing. I still haven’t told him my answer yet.

 The IM5 crew came walking down the hall with their girls next to them. Faith and Brianna ended up staying for longer. And I mean they’re staying until the end of the year. They transferred to my school and everything. Not sure how they convinced their parents on that one but I’m glad they can. All of them had their girls except for Cole because he doesn’t have a girl. For some odd reason, I pictured myself walking with them and I holding Cole’s hand- it wasn’t that odd, but it was weird to think about at the same time. Cole walked straight up to me with a smile plastered on his face and I smiled back.

“How was the recording sesh?” I asked, remembering that’s why he left the other night.

“My throat hurts a bit now.” He replied, rubbing his throat.

I made a pouty lip. “You poor thing.”

He made a small laugh. “So have you thought about it?”

I returned his small laugh with one. “You don’t miss a second, do you? I have thought about it and…” I trailed off, knowing it would torture him.

“And what?” He pushed.

I waited a few more seconds before saying, “Yes, I will go out with you, Cole Pendery.”