40

How has your day been going?

*   *   *   *   *  

Arcee squinted as she glanced around, optics searching for the object sending the energon signal. Bulkhead walked behind her and looked about as well, but seemed more interested in the scenery than anything.

"Optics open Bulk." Arcee warned.

Bumblebee buzzed in laughter, and Bulkhead shot the mech a look. The three were on edge since the accident that happened a mere hour previously back at the base. Optimus was still unconscious but fine, with nothing more than some deep scratches that needed welding. 

Jack had some bruises on his ribs, but nothing was broken. The thought of that Decepticon handling her charge made the femme's anger boil, but not as much as Jack's mother as she ranted about the base, blaming each and every one of them for his reckless behavior.

Arcee felt like knocking her into the ground, but Jack had been reckless. So she let June slide this time.

Not long after they returned from their energon scouting, Ratchet had received a beacon. The same one he had found upon Soundwave. Synthetic energon. 

"It's risky, doc."

"It could be a trap."

"Ep, ep, ep I am well aware of the consequences." Ratchet snapped. His optics had glanced at the message on the screen. A request for medical attention. For whom, he was uncertain, but Optimus would want them to scout ahead, just in case some bot truly was in need of healing.

"You three will look ahead. If there is need for medical attention, contact me."

The signal grew stronger as they walked forward. The woods grew denser and denser, until it opened up just the slightest to reveal a large mass of overgrown grass and small stones.

Bumblee whirred and glanced at Bulkhead, who looked just as confused. "Haven't we been here before?" the larger bot murmured. Arcee nodded silently while cautiously stepping forward. 

"Spread out. It's here somewhere. The cons could be anywhere." 

Something felt off. Normally, an ambush would have happened by now. But everything was silent. Bumblee took the right and Bulkhead the left. Arcee kept walking straight, making sure not to knock over any of the stones at her feet.

A graveyard. Jack and the other kids had explained to her what they were after that first encounter here. The last thing she wanted to do was disturb the dead or disrespect them. 

A few minutes passed and Arcee turned her helm towards Bulk. "Find anything?" 

"Nope."

Bumblebee said the same.

Arcee vented and glanced down. "Okay. We'll have to-" A gasp escaped her. 

"Oh, my primus."

 *   *   *   *   *  

 I'm sorry I know it's short but It needs to be this short for the next chapter and I'm just super tired. I'll try to update again this weekend.